Autistic burnout article

Autistic Burnout - UK Parliament Committees https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/117253/pdf/

I thought this was worth sharing by Viv Dawes 

Parents
  • Thanks for posting. I only recently came across this document myself and it is one of the best explanations of autistic burnout I have found. I agree we all should share this as widely as we can, to try and get some recognition and understanding out there.

Far too often autistic people in burnout are misdiagnosed with depression / anxiety and given inappropriate medications or talking therapies, which only serve to make things worse. Autistic children in burnout are pressured into attending school, which is usually the cause of the problem in the first place.

I fear in this fast moving forum this post will soon be forgotten. I hope in the new forum there will be a way to sticky essential reading such as this at the top.

I have tried to search online to find out what was the outcome of the Parliamentary Committee where this document was presented as evidence. I have not managed to find anything. Does anyone know any more?

• I looked up Viv Dawes on facebook. I am now following her. She posted the response that she received on facebook following this. X

Reply Children
No Data