Autistic burnout article

Autistic Burnout - UK Parliament Committees https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/117253/pdf/

I thought this was worth sharing by Viv Dawes 

Parents
  • Thanks for posting. I only recently came across this document myself and it is one of the best explanations of autistic burnout I have found. I agree we all should share this as widely as we can, to try and get some recognition and understanding out there.

Far too often autistic people in burnout are misdiagnosed with depression / anxiety and given inappropriate medications or talking therapies, which only serve to make things worse. Autistic children in burnout are pressured into attending school, which is usually the cause of the problem in the first place.

I fear in this fast moving forum this post will soon be forgotten. I hope in the new forum there will be a way to sticky essential reading such as this at the top.

I have tried to search online to find out what was the outcome of the Parliamentary Committee where this document was presented as evidence. I have not managed to find anything. Does anyone know any more?

• Thanks for posting. I only recently came across this document myself and it is one of the best explanations of autistic burnout I have found. I agree we all should share this as widely as we can, to try and get some recognition and understanding out there.

Far too often autistic people in burnout are misdiagnosed with depression / anxiety and given inappropriate medications or talking therapies, which only serve to make things worse. Autistic children in burnout are pressured into attending school, which is usually the cause of the problem in the first place.

I fear in this fast moving forum this post will soon be forgotten. I hope in the new forum there will be a way to sticky essential reading such as this at the top.

I have tried to search online to find out what was the outcome of the Parliamentary Committee where this document was presented as evidence. I have not managed to find anything. Does anyone know any more?

Children
  • So this is how our government responds to the desperate need for autistic burnout to be understood, recognised and supported appropriately (notice the use of person first language and quite frankly the patronising tone).

Dear Ms Dawes

Thank you for your email, which I read with interest. I hope that you are well.

As you will, I am sure, be aware, the Government’s current Autism Strategy is in place and will run from 2021 to 2026. It is being implemented to help to improve the lives of children and adults with autism; this strategy aims to: tackle the barriers autistic people face so they can live independent and fulfilling lives; ensure faster diagnosis and better access to health and social care for autistic people of all ages; and support better education tailored to the needs of autistic children and young people.

This strategy was backed by £75 million in its first year alone, £40 million of which is through the NHS Long Term Plan to improve capacity in crisis services and support children with complex needs in inpatient care.

All this will, I hope, better support people with autism and help them avoid burnout.”

Don’t worry folks. Crisis averted! The autism strategy will make everything better and we will all live in a yellow submarine with the bunny rabbits and butterflies. Rolling eyes

#itsnotoktonotbeok

• I looked up Viv Dawes on facebook. I am now following her. She posted the response that she received on facebook following this. X

• It was evidence to the Health and Social Care Committee, as part of its inquiry into 'Prevention in health and social care' - https://committees.parliament.uk/work/7205/prevention-in-health-and-social-care/

It is the very last item on the 30 pages of written evidence - https://committees.parliament.uk/work/7205/prevention-in-health-and-social-care/publications/written-evidence/?page=30

The committee has published a few reports so far, on two of the ten themes (vaccination and healthy places) - https://committees.parliament.uk/work/7205/prevention-in-health-and-social-care/publications/

The full list of ten themes is: healthy places; vaccination; health inequalities; mental health and wellbeing; healthy eating and obesity; smoking, drugs, alcohol, and gambling; sexual health; early years and childhood; cancer prevention; other major conditions.