Can Autism be cured??

I was reading an article on Zerohedge today,a well known "far right conspiracy nutcase site"  which was about the rising prevalence of Autism.

We all know that many people claim that vaccines (or mercury used as an adjuvant in vaccines) cause Autism, (which doesn't work in my case, but what the heck, people claim all sorts of unlikely things to be true nowadays) and that position is made very clearly in the comments sections amongst many others. 

Where I agree with the strident people here who ALWAYS pop up to rubbish any ZH link I publish, is that there is a lot of rhetoric, misguided or actually 100% false opinion and information to be read in the comments section, and some of the articles are not much better, indeed.

Where I disagree with those same detractors is that reading them is a useless or even BAD experience. JUST as this forum has ME, Malojian & Juniper from Gallifrey all very different posters with different styles coming from quite clearly diffferent places ALL of us have a "place at the table" (even if it does mean putting up with the likes of me!)  and a right to be heard*.

SO that being in mind, I read a lot of them as well as the article..

Sometimes a comment really makes me sit up and think, such as the "Autism can be cured but the cure is being suppressed" comment, not least because the author has put a lot of effort in and has added citations and evidence that can be followed up on... and I did do some of them before I needed to do something else. (It's not just laziness, I am struggliing through interruptions and "new tasks" even during the writing this post, and am now irritated with how long everything takes to get done...

I saw a well dressed person clearly more successful, comfortable, and articulate than me, telling the audience to her you tube video that "yes Autism can be cured". I would rush to believe but for the fact that I've also had a bunch of very similar appearing people telling me that a succession of MRNA injections can make sure I don't catch covid I believe "Safe and Effective" was the psychologcial "baited hook" in that case, so why should I believe her?

BUT nevertheless, the question having been raised in this "fixers" head remains:

COULD Autism be "Curable"??

Not interested in the modern idea of "treatments" which are about as effective as the "servicing" that modern cars get, I'm wondering if it can be CURED like my own suicidal ideation was a few years back.

Parents
  • It's a thought provoking question. I noticed my name up there LOL. So, here's some thoughts!!!

My conclusion is we're all born with a set of qualities and circumstances. Heal the trauma first. Emerge from survival mode. I think this is what needs to be cured for most of us who weren't raised in supportive, middle class environments. 

And then hopefully, to whatever degree, learn new, healthy ways to become the 'best self'. Help instead of hurt. Appreciate manners, assert and afford boundaries, learn to properly invest and grow a friendship. Chose a new family if we wish, focus intensities on to things, ideas (rather than people) and allow for the difficulties of others. There's nothing wrong with being kind, valuing ethics and aesthetics and calling out cruelty. Personally, it's just taken me a LOT longer to understand these things and there needs to be specific education plans for Autistics and other divergent thinkers as we mature slower. My mother should've never expected me to just change costume and suddenly appear adult, the day I turned 18.

The bigger problem I run up against is a Mad society, completely Desensitised to stuff that is Really Unhealthy. 

___

Historically humans have always been looking for a cure.

In the history of psychoanalysis, there is the continual problem of Neurosis. And according to Freud, "we're all a little Neurotic" and "Sick... sick of ourselves" And so, "psychoanalysis, the discourse of bad conscience and guilt, always rises up and finds its nourishment—what is called being cured." 

The church, not just the therapist, has a history of claiming to cure guilt, release debt, and these 2 things continue to pop back up in to the social schema everywhere, according to a great deal of philosophers and analysts. But the ever pressing problem is how do you help the Neurotic know they have a problem? Especially when what is uniquely neurotic is to betray one's own desires in such an unhealthy way as to change both the good and potentially harmful nature into civilised behaviour. Forever displacing, always misrepresenting everything. 

And so it is only those who don't play along with the: Forever Return of social stratifications and their Moral and Hierarchal exchanges who are the problem. Those who don't identify with the social indoctrination of guilt, who cannot socially perform the improvised theatrics of expressing indebtedness. These are the significant problems Autistics face. And what one can see in the cracks of ABA demanding moral behaviour to 'cure' the autistic. 

It's this ^^ Social "current" one has to work out how to 'flow' with. Affecting our livelihood, our ability to stay healthy, to afford to live in this model of society where Autistic and even Introverted values are not appreciated, even seen as 'wrong'. 

But even now, more articles are finally appearing about Misrepresenting Trauma as 'mental illnesses'. Not taking account of what genuinely impacts a person from their environment and economic situation. The myth of "I can be whatever I want if I put my mind to it", because no, you cannot grow a new leg and you might not get that brain design which helps desensitise.

However... I have personally found things which help balance my biology so there are fewer "user errors" I need to troubleshoot. I post about them often, the science of our apparent differences makes sense to me and just seems as if it's a different 'blood type' or 'skin colour'. Some can handle the sun others are better off in the Arctic. Work with what you've got... 

It does seem to me there are a few fundamental Autistic differences with their own potential and difficulties. Much like a deeper examination of the MBTi and how traits can help one thrive or barely survive. The medical community needs to catch up with biological differences. The education system needs to catch up... and so on. So yes, the social impact is very impactful.  

• You make a lot of good points. It is so true that people often try to ‘fix things’ or ‘normalise’ rather than accept someone the way they are and accommodate their differences. 

Reply Children
No Data