Christmas shopping. SOS. SEND HELP!

It's that time of the year again when my Good Lady decides she needs to go in to the heart of the big bustling town to do her Christmas shopping. I have tried to convey to her that online shopping is not only cheaper but also far less hassle. However as usual she is not listening to me and is set in her ways.

But it gets worse...

She wants me to not only take her to town but also to go shopping with her!!!

It will be nice to get out for a bit, she tells me.

So quite naturally I have been trying my best to get out of this all week but I am quite depressed to announce my cunning ploys have all failed and I am driving in to London this morning. Drat.

I had pretended to be ill but she didn't believe me. I hid in my study but she found me. The woman is determined, I will give her that.

So, my granddaughter who also has autism has given me tips on how to get through today. I'm glad she has autism, we help each other through the challenges life throws.

I have her tips to assist me today.

This morning I have checked the tyre pressure on the Rolls. All good. I've checked the oil. All good. I started it to go to the post office and it started.

However if by some miracle you are able to save me from this dreadful situation then please do send help to get me out of it! 

Parents
  • This is somewhat off-topic, but reading your post has brought back memories of supermarket shopping with my parents during the 1970s and 1980s when I was a young child. It was noticeable that there would always be a group of middle-aged and elderly husbands outside the supermarket, which fascinated me. Meanwhile, their wives would be inside the supermarket, often struggling to navigate shopping trolleys with decidedly dodgy wheels. It was as though there was some unspoken rule... A memo that my dad and younger males hadn't received, declaring that men were strictly prohibited from entering shops with their spouses.

However, as I have gotten older, I have developed an increasing dislike of physically visiting shops, irrespective of the time of year. Whilst I know I have the luxury of being able to order items online, there are instances when I want to see, touch, or smell items, before committing myself to purchasing them. Returning items ordered online can sometimes feel like a hassle.

Whilst I agree with your wife that it can be good to get out, I find it usually only applies if it is to do something that we enjoy and/or want to do. That said, sometimes it can be better to go along with something we may not necessarily want to do, to keep the peace. Admittedly, the downside is that we can pay the price for it afterward (shutdowns, and the like).

• This is somewhat off-topic, but reading your post has brought back memories of supermarket shopping with my parents during the 1970s and 1980s when I was a young child. It was noticeable that there would always be a group of middle-aged and elderly husbands outside the supermarket, which fascinated me. Meanwhile, their wives would be inside the supermarket, often struggling to navigate shopping trolleys with decidedly dodgy wheels. It was as though there was some unspoken rule... A memo that my dad and younger males hadn't received, declaring that men were strictly prohibited from entering shops with their spouses.

However, as I have gotten older, I have developed an increasing dislike of physically visiting shops, irrespective of the time of year. Whilst I know I have the luxury of being able to order items online, there are instances when I want to see, touch, or smell items, before committing myself to purchasing them. Returning items ordered online can sometimes feel like a hassle.

Whilst I agree with your wife that it can be good to get out, I find it usually only applies if it is to do something that we enjoy and/or want to do. That said, sometimes it can be better to go along with something we may not necessarily want to do, to keep the peace. Admittedly, the downside is that we can pay the price for it afterward (shutdowns, and the like).

Children
No Data