What do you like about Christmas?

It's nearly Christmas and I've read a few things that most of us dislike about Christmas...loads of people in busy shops and towns...bright lights...loud music and for me the worst is the visiting relatives. I love all my relatives but at Christmas it's so much going on and so much to process I can't cope with them. There's so much happening at Christmas time it's a lot to process and deal with and it lasts such a long time. We're going Christmas shopping next weekend *gulp* so I've got to try and prepare myself for this.

But the point of this thread isn't to look at the negatives it's to look at the positives...the things we DO like about Christmas... SnowmanChristmas tree 

What do you like about Christmas?

I'm a big music fan and I love Christmas music, when it's played quietly OC. One of my favourite things is sitting by the Christmas tree, my earphones in, listening to Christmas music.

I also love to watch Christmas films. I like being in my bed, snuggled up under my duvet with my bears watching my fave Christmas films.

Other than that there's not really a lot I like about Christmas lololol Joy

Parents
  • What do you like about Christmas?

Almost Everything.
    That I can think of:

I'm sensory seeking when it comes to xmas lights.  And my fave colours are everywhere this time of year.

I like setting up the tree, I have a 4ft one so it isn't physically taxing, and putting my fave decorations on it.

I start present shopping early so there is no rush, I like to play detective so if someone isn't a total mystery I enjoy working out what they would really like, and if I get stuck I ask them for a wishlist, or give cash in a card for the impossible people.

Sometimes I don't even wait until xmas, if I see something small I think a loved one needs or wants I'll get it for them just because.

I like the big dinner with the extended family - who I get on with, I'm not in any closets with them and they know I'm autistic so if anything gets overwhelming I just excuse myself to the quieter room with my ear defenders and nobody makes a fuss and drama about it.

The songs, I have classic playlists on an mp3 player and on CDs in the car, so I listen to all of them - except WHAM, because I've been playing and mostly winning Whamageddon for the last 4 years and I don't see why I should break a fun habit now.

Mince pies.

Making up for North Pole staff shortages and being the xmas elf and making the Santa presents, it's the ones for the kids that aren't in the usual wrapping paper, and they can't have seen you buying it or the wrapping, so when you put it under the tree on christmas eve it looks out of place like it was wrapped by someone (at the north pole) else all covered in the ribbons and bows and things.

Watching fave seasonal movies under a blanket with the family.

All the food and drink.

I'm not at all religious in the traditional judeo-christian sense, for us it's more like the date for Yule got pushed back a few days, and a festival of familial and humanitarian love and warmth. People say it's about the birth of Jesus* but really even if you strip it down to it's most secular it's still about breaking up the dreariness of winter and being thankful for eachother. Unless you are a business person in which case it's about exploiting people for capitalism, but that is very cynical when you don't actually have to buy loads of stuff to enjoy xmas. Maybe other people see it different, but the question was "What do you like about Christmas", and that's my answer.

* (It isn't. https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/biblical-evidence-shows-jesus-christ-wasnt-born-on-dec-25 
    https://historycooperative.org/pagan-origins-of-christmas/  Enlightening reading or those interested in history, religion, and religious history.)        Because I also like the history of the holiday.

Oooh I like carolers too, but we don't seem to get them around here despite being in a town with seemingly a church on every street.

I still like the religious songs tbh, I think they are quite sweet regardless even if Mary's Boy Child is historically innacurate.

When all the xmas shopping is done I still like to go out for a short while when there is plenty time left so it's not a crush and just "mop up" the last bits like stocking fillers from highstreet shops and see if they have any actual reindeer about, sometimes they do and I like to see them.

• I love mince pies Stuck out tongue but I can't eat too much now because my digestion is massively over sensitive.

Reply Children
No Data