Bizarre question

A short while ago I happened to hear a song that immediately made me think of someone that I would now prefer not to be reminded of, as it causes me to feel a whole host of unwanted negative emotions. It wasn't so much the song itself, but the group singing it.

I know it's a long shot, but would anyone happen to know if there is a realistic way to stop the association? Whilst attempting to inflict a brain injury on myself that results in selective amnesia is an option, it is one that I would personally prefer not to try. Wink

Parents
  • I would like to clear a lot of unpleasant associations too Thumbsup Having new pleasanter associations with the same thing might help exorcise the older unpleasant ones, in your case with the singing group Slight smile

• I would like to clear a lot of unpleasant associations too Thumbsup Having new pleasanter associations with the same thing might help exorcise the older unpleasant ones, in your case with the singing group Slight smile

Children
  • I think I would just settle for feeling indifferent and unaffected. Laughing

Fortunately, the group is one I am usually able to avoid unless I make a point of listening to a particular genre of music from a particular era.

To be fair, when I heard the song I'd been feeling low. Were it not for that, it's possible that it might not have affected me quite as much.

I am sorry that you have unpleasant associations you wish you could clear. If only one could point a remote control at one's head and banish them.