Eating

Does anyone else have this problem and how have you dealt with it, I'm going out of my mind!!

My daughter is 12 and her traits seem to be on a massive downward spiral just now, I hardly recognise her as my daughter these daysCry.

Her traits are mostly sensory based and she struggles every day with many tasks. However recently her new trigger is around food and other people eating. Being too loud when they eat, or use there knife and fork, its causing so, so many issues in the house and upsetting my son and husband.

She will say that she is not hungry and would rather not eat than have to sit at the dining room table with us, which is our time to come together as a family, and has always been so.

Do I let her excuse herself, do I make her sit with us, do I let her put earplugs in or eat alone. I'm so worried that any of these options will cause further problems for us as a family, won't help her over come this sensory issue and make the whole thing a much bigger problem, one where she can't go out socially now or when she is older.

I'm literally at my wits end.

Parents
  • She’s family whether she’s at the table or not. If she would be happier in her own space, let her eat there, or in another room at least. Meals times can be overwhelming. When I was younger I could not bear the clanking of cutlery and other peoples chewing. Focus on the now. She will learn to make her own adjustments and coping mechanisms as she grows.

• She’s family whether she’s at the table or not. If she would be happier in her own space, let her eat there, or in another room at least. Meals times can be overwhelming. When I was younger I could not bear the clanking of cutlery and other peoples chewing. Focus on the now. She will learn to make her own adjustments and coping mechanisms as she grows.

Children
No Data