Does anybody have a food they can't stand?

I've never been able to tolerate eggs, partiularly egg white. And even the thought of fried eggs makes me feel sick!!!

As a child I felt pretty queasy about hot milk and cheese too, though I enjoy cheese now. My other used to fry a lot of things in lard, and I couldn't stand that either, and as mine were born in the 30's there wasn't much patience for any of this kind of finickiness.

Sometimes there are supermarkets that fry food here too. When that it is full swing, it can be very hard not to retch. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Apologies if someone else has already mentioned it, but I believe the tinned milk you referred to is Evaporated Milk. I'm not sure how popular it is now, but I seem to recall it being commonly used back in the 70s and 80s.

• That photo brought back memories! In my American childhood fruit cocktail was always around. Ours had horrible shriveled grapes. We used to put it to set in jelly (or "jello" as we'd say there).

My boyfriend and I went to a "posh" buffet in a hotel in Cyprus. They had beautiful cakes...and fruit cocktail in jelly. I was laughing, no American buffet of any level would include that as a dessert.

• Yes, I remember those, and the tinned cream. They would turn up for the compulsory Sunday tea, when we were still stuffed with Sunday roast. There often used to be rows in the afternoon, so there was usually a miserable atmosphere, and disapproval in the air. 

• Yes! I used to feel guilty that I wasn’t more appreciative of that as a treat. Especially as I knew it must have seemed like I was going ‘healthy stuff? I won’t be fooled thanks’. I still shudder to think of the oil on water inter mingling of the juice and the cream. And also mixed anything tends not to be great for me. So with that I was always thinking ok the pear bits I like, the cherries are fine, er that’s it. Hated the peach most of all, and the embalmed green grapes. And there would be randomly hidden hard bits. Just not nice. 

When I make a trifle these days, I put only banana slices in - the rest is fused jelly and sponge. Fruit cocktail was always the downside of a trifle