Constant need to be productive. Not letting yourself rest/stop unless seriously in crisis or ill

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else experiences this. I am really burnt out and struggling at the moment and I have noticed that I have this constant need to 'be productive'. It is making it very hard for me to rest and even more so as I currently cannot engage with my special interests and don't have any activities which I enjoy- this makes resting even harder as I just feel like an utter failure and hate myself when I don't do anything or when I make myself do an activity I don't enjoy for the sake of relaxing. 

It's become so bad that I have noticed that I am (subconciously?) self-sabotaging myself as I will only allow myself to rest/ do mindless/useless activities if I am feeling really unwell or ill- I have a lot of issues with digestion and food and I have the past days been so frustrated with myself that I made myself eat things that I knew would set off my IBS and make me nauseaus and unwell... which just makes me then feel more stupid and upset. 

I've noticed that I just cannot let myself 'stop' or pause unless I have something to do which I find 'worth it' and very enjoyable or if I am very ill/unwell or if there is NO need/ pressure to do anything (possibly...) but I have all these things that I need to do (but am in part just not really up to doing yet.... like writing a research proposal and sorting out yet another international move)... 

I have no idea how I can challenge this belief and stop the self-sabotage which is making me very unhappy. I wish I had a hobby I loved that I could do but sadly I don't. 

Can anyone relate to this? Any ideas on how to challenge this? 

Parents
  • Yes, I can relate to tbis a little. And I was very pleased with myself recently, when in my dream I was firmly and assertively turning down work opportunities instead of dutifully chasing them!

But at 64 retirement is getting closer to the horizon. Or at least not being under too much pressure to keep chasing the day job. 

Did something ever threaten your fiscal survival? With me it was long-term unemployment, having graduated in 19i1,and then being hassled by restart and not wanting to be forced into workfare schemes, and then dealing many years with immigration, where a foot wrong can lead you to being expelled, which on one occasion, it actually did. And then. the sheer pressure of making ends meet every month?

But everyone may have different reasons for getting into that space I guess. 

• Yes, I can relate to tbis a little. And I was very pleased with myself recently, when in my dream I was firmly and assertively turning down work opportunities instead of dutifully chasing them!

But at 64 retirement is getting closer to the horizon. Or at least not being under too much pressure to keep chasing the day job. 

Did something ever threaten your fiscal survival? With me it was long-term unemployment, having graduated in 19i1,and then being hassled by restart and not wanting to be forced into workfare schemes, and then dealing many years with immigration, where a foot wrong can lead you to being expelled, which on one occasion, it actually did. And then. the sheer pressure of making ends meet every month?

But everyone may have different reasons for getting into that space I guess. 

Children
No Data