Do you like DVDs or digital viewings?

I personally love DVDs! :) 

I like the covers on the cases, some are really nice and there's Holo moving ones too. I have a Paddington DVD case like that ^^

I watch digital sometimes but not very much now. I find that paying for something like Netflix or Disney+ means I could have bought it on DVD dozens of times, so now I just try and buy the DVDs instead.

I have a LOT of DVDs :-) I'm trying to get into watching them more as I've got a lot of free time on my hands.

^^

Some of my DVDs:

I was doing some sorting so got these out but I've got lots more :) 

• I doubt it somehow. More cynical, definitely...

When CD came out, I er, took massive advantage of my local hi-fi store and got them to let me audition their entire range of CD players. Twice. Of course I had no intention of buying one. I just wanted to know if they all sounded the same, as was supposed to be the case...

The upshot was, if it didn't have a Phillips insides at the time, Pink Floyd sounded like "they had somewhere else to be"  whereas on the Phillips based players they sounded much more natural in the timing, however the phillips players sounded harsh in the really noisy bit in the middle of "money", and few players managed to make the sax sound right.

So it came down to the 800 - 1000 quid meridian MCD or MCD pro or a 400 quid Marantz player. If you wanted the best rendition of "dark side of the moon" at the time off a cd, AND I DID. well I could not afford either being on the dole at the time, and as I was getting ready to go I spied a gold coloured CD player with the word "Marantz" on the front tucked away in a corner. I asked what it was, and it was 200 quid, ex demo and under test, it sounded GOOD.  

I then had me a little career fixing and trading CD players. 

I've still got one of those Marantz 73's upstairs. And a couple of Cambridge Audio CD2's...

• because people designing mechanism and cover are not the same people, HQs attract a special kind of 'brainiacs'.

• That's why I chose my LG Blu-ray player - the main tray door has a cover which reduces the chance of dust getting inside.

Remember the VHS days when after a few years there would be a fair amount of dust and gunk on the internal mechanism because the gap around the flap was big?

• I have discs that I burned 15 years ago that still play perfectly

me too

But DVD/CD playing devices are not as resilient, and it's problematic to dust them inside, and they get dusty if unused for too long. Then they start making grinding noises when you play something and die spitting broken CD out

What I'm trying to say is AVOID DUST INSIDE, and wipe CDs before use is what helps

• As long as you keep any optical disc in good condition, in its case and out of direct sunlight or extreme temperatures, they can last a lot longer than you think.

I have discs that I burned 15 years ago that still play perfectly because I keep them at an ambient temperature and out of sunlight. Always use a soft permanent marker - Sharpie pens are the best as they write very well onto the label side of blank discs.

Also doesn't hurt to give them a gentle wipe with a lint free cloth before you play them too.

• When I saw that thread continued today I had thought about Luna as well. 

Her legacy lives on.

• lovely words Simon, she does indeed. It’s so strange to have her so gone and yet so present. It’s lovely to see that some recently watched  films and shows brought her comfort so close to the end, lifted her spirits. 

• Reading new replies in this thread today, almost in hope that Luna was responding, was the first time in some days that I've been able to look at her posts without turning swiftly away in utter sadness and in anger and denial at what has happened. Missing her has been so unbearable. But just look at the typical beauty, humour, passion and friendliness of her posts; so I'm happy that I finally looked, and thankful to the repliers who led me to be braver than I had been.

You live forever, lovely Luna.  x

^^

• That reminds me. Apparently the old netflix model, where you order dvd rental through the post, still exists. The company is called Cinema Paradiso 

• And that is a perfect example of how you are smarter than me.

• When CD came out and they were touting them as being "pure perfect sound forever" I just turned to the nearest person and said, "so it'll be the players you'll need to keep changing then..."

• Did blu ray really catch on?

• I personally love DVDs! :) 

Me too Slight smile

I love dvds. I like the convenience you get with something like Netflix but it's annoying when they remove stuff so I stick to my dvds. I'm collecting all the Doctor who series, a fun task collecting and watching them. 

• I have an LG Blu-ray player but no BD discs - as it plays MKV, MP4 and AVI, 95% of my TV shows and movies are in those three formats. A few can't be played (either there's audio but no video or the format is incorrect and can't be played back) so I'll use the laptop for them.

• haha I'm sure yopur grandkids are going to have lots of fun getting through them.

When I was 4y.o. I discovered that my grandpa keeps in the attic boxes with books and notebooks from my mom's and her sibiling's school years. It was like treasure hunting.

• I used to have actual DVDs but now over 99% of my TV and movie collection has been downloaded and archived onto blank DVD discs. My last external DVD writer finally gave up after almost 15 years of frequent disc burning so it did very well.

I have five Amazon disc binders with each one holding 400 discs however I really need to spend a few hours to sort it into alphabetical order as it takes a while to find a certain TV show or movie to watch!

• Digital. I like having a disc but digital is much more convenient for me.

• That's a really beautiful thought

• Now you will have the beauty of heaven to watch. Better than any DVD! 

Rest in peace dear Luna, and enjoy the wonderful paradise that you will now live in. x 

• DVD. Can stop and start when I want.

Also it's NOT ONLINE!!!!!