Autistic and Christian

Is there anybody out there who feels they so much want to fit in with everyone else but struggles to at church.  Does your church open and understand your autism.  What can we do to change struggles we have in a busy church environment?  Autism christian bible study groups etc?  I am thinking at random.  What are your thoughts and what are your struggles? 

Parents
  • Re:
    "Is there anybody out there who feels they so much want to fit in with everyone else but struggles to at church."

I don't know about at church, I am a proud pagan (in a Unitarian sense) but even so I do not see how theistic differences should act as a barrier when as Charles Dickens puts it so eloquently in his Christmas Carol, we are "fellow travelers to the grave", I think it's interesting as no doubt there will be spiritual spaces of all kinds who to varying degrees understand and/or accept our autism. But not belonging to a specific church or coven I'm not sure I can answer that question to the specific nature it was asked.

"What can we do to change struggles we have in a busy church environment?  Autism christian bible study groups etc?  I am thinking at random.  What are your thoughts and what are your struggles?"

However it has occurred to me as someone with Catholic ancestors to sit in at the local Catholic church some time to at least see what they are all about. (I attended a religious school before and went to a church through them occasionally as a kid pre-diagnosis but they were not catholic.) It has certainly already been at the forefront of my mind that should I attend a church again I would no doubt need to take a fidget toy of some kind as I am someone who struggles to sit still when listening, no matter how invested I am or not.

• I'd like to add I think one of the main issues I have as a unitarian "point blank" is simply the lack of unitarian churches in general. I have never been led to believe that as a unitarian pagan I would in any way be unwelcome at a christian unitarian church. As there is a significant degree of brotherhood and overlap within unitarianism in general.

Reply Children
No Data