Healthy Soup Recipes

Hi Everyone,

I love making homemade soup 

I just wondered if anyone had any favourite recipes that I could try

Julie

• That sounds fab thanks for adding the ingredients and how to make guide. Awesome.

• I’ve just started making soup. It’s only basic though...I watch YouTube videos which are teaching me the basics. And I enjoy it as well. I haven’t made anything special yet but I’m hoping I will, eventually.

• When it comes to healthy soups, I've got a few favorites up my sleeve! One of them is a simple vegetable soup that's packed with flavor and nutrients.

• This is our household's favourite soup (it also freezes well):

Courgette and Carrot Soup

Prep: 20 minutes

Cook: 50 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

50g Butter

225g carrots, peeled and sliced

225g courgettes, trimmed (top and tail) and sliced

600 ml hot chicken stock

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon tomato puree

1 tablespoon caster sugar

Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Melt the butter in a saucepan (I use a stainless steel pan), add carrots and courgettes, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes.

Add the stock and remaining ingredients. Cover, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally).

REMOVE THE BAY LEAF!!!

Cool slightly, then blitz with a stick-blender in the saucepan, or pass through a Mouli-Legumes, or whizz in a blender or food processor until as smooth a texture as you like for soup.

Reheat to serve, or, package and label ready to freeze (cool completely before freezing).

If frozen, to thaw, reheat gently from frozen with 2 tablespoons of stock or boiling water – stirring occasionally.

• OH - I love soup. I am not a cook of much breadth but I can make a mean chili, a quite civilized pea soup, and a martigra minestroni.

(if anyone shows an interest, I will put the pea and martigra recipes up to copy/paste too).

My chili is a 3 beans chili.

3 kine dry beans, any kine -except black eye peas- soaked, rinsed and cooked in fresh water.

oregano, basil ("Basil!"), 1 laurel leaf, Mexican fiesta spice mix

some canned or home made marinara

a bit of tomato paste.

sweet pepper

a little finely chopped fresh carrot

fresh tomato

fresh celery

olive oil and amino acids.

with just a shake of stevia

I don't saute any of it. I just dump it all in the slow cooker for the day.

Some water may need to be added at some point.

all the measurements are to taste. I like even parts beans and marinara, for example. 

• Homemade soup is the best, especially during these colder months. One of my favorite healthy soup recipes is a simple vegetable soup. I just chop up some carrots, celery, onion, and whatever other veggies I have on hand, then sauté them in a pot with some olive oil. Once they're soft, I add in some vegetable broth, a can of diced tomatoes, and some herbs and spices like thyme, bay leaves, and garlic powder. Let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes, and you've got yourself a hearty and nutritious soup!
    If you're looking for more recipes and tips, I recently came across some cooking tips that really brought my skills to the next level. You can visit here to find more about them.

• I made sweet potato, carrot soup yesterday which was lovely. 4 sweet potatoes, 3 large carrots, 4 tablespoons of paprika, 2 teaspoons of turmeric and some chilly flakes. 

Fry 1 onion and red pepper in garlic and ginger and add to the above and blend,

• Homemade soup is always a comforting choice, especially as the weather starts to get cooler. I'm glad to hear you enjoy making it! If you're looking to expand your soup recipe collection, you're in luck.

Have you ever tried adding a Yum Yum sauce to your soups? It can be a fantastic way to add a burst of flavor to your favorite soup creations. I found a fantastic yum yum sauce recipe. It's versatile and can complement a wide range of soup flavors, from creamy to brothy. Give it a try, and I'm sure you'll love it!

As for favorite soup recipes, I recommend trying a classic chicken noodle soup, a hearty vegetable minestrone, or a creamy tomato basil soup.

• Hi Julie!

When I make myself soup I check out MJs kitchen which has so many soup recipes ^^

https://mjskitchen.com/2015/03/tantalizing-collection-soups-stews/

Enjoy.

• It's great to hear that you have a love for making homemade soups. They can be so comforting and nourishing. Since you're on the lookout for new recipes, have you ever considered adding a fresh and vibrant element to your soups with a side of pico de gallo? This Mexican salsa is made with diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro, creating a burst of flavors that can elevate your soup experience. You might find that it's a delightful addition to various soup recipes, adding a zesty twist. If you're curious, you can explore how to make pico de gallo and see how it pairs with your favorite homemade soups.

• Thank you I will try this one 

• Thank you this sounds good I will try it

• Hey, this is a great light summer soup recipe from the Covent Garden Food Co book

Petit Pois and Watercress

25g unsalted butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

350g fresh petit pois (or frozen peas)

50g watercress

750ml vegetable stock

1-2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped

Method; 

Melt butter in a saucepan, add the onion, then cook for 5 minutes until soft

Add the peas, watercress and stock and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes until the peas are tender.

Blend until smooth

Return to the pan, season to taste and reheat gently for 3 minutes

Add the mint, then serve.

• I like cooking, i make soup in the slowcooker, it's so easy. I've tried alsorts, always starting off with  the base of tomatoes & onions, then adding a variety things. But i've found out i've got CKD and one of things i can't eat is tomatoes. I struggled then 'cos tomatoes go in everthing. Then i was in hospital last year having a pacemaker fitted, and one day they served carrot & coriander soup..... delicious. I did a slowcooker full last night (overnight) and have whizzed it up today. Now need to portion up and put it into the freezer.

• I am obsessed with soup. I make a massive batch every sunday and eat it every breakfast or when I need to eat but don't feel hungry. It's my best safe food

My book with my favourite recipe is currently with a relative, but here is an alternative.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smoked-haddock-chowder 

I use fish stock (just the stock pots) instead of cooking the fish first and I don't use the leeks but otherwise this is a good recipe

the other one I love is nettle and sorrel soup

Very cheap main ingredient nettles if you can be bothered to go pick them (wear gloves) but they are very nutritious and utterly delicious. If you can't get hold of sorrel, use a little lemon juice. 

4 large handfuls of nettle tops

1 large onion

50g butter

1L of vegetable stock

1 tbsp of crème fraiche (optional)

a handful of sorrel

Seasoning including grated nutmeg

1. Strip the nettles from the thicker stalks and wash ( gloves!!)

2. Melt the butter and simmer the chopped onion until golden

3. Add the nettles and the chopped potatoes, and cook for two to three minutes

4. Add the stock, and simmer for 20 minutes, using a wooden spoon from time to time to crush the potatoes.

5. Add the seasoning, a little grated nutmeg, and chopped sorrel. Serve with a swirl of crème fraiche.

6. Or, if you would prefer a smoother soup, put the mixture through a liquidizer first. (after adding sorrel) Reheat, and add seasoning and crème fraiche

hope you enjoy!

• Hi Julie,

I Iove this recipe:

https://www.averiecooks.com/best-broccoli-cheese-soup-better-panera-copycat/

I replace the carrot with potato, just personal preference.  Hopefully the broccoli sufficiently balances the cheese to class as 'healthy'!