Horse riding

Hello, my daughter has adhd and autism she is high functioning as they used to call it. She absolutely adores horses and knows so much about them. I am going to try and book her some lessons. I am a little worried if they will let her because of her autism but I have been reading it can be very good for children who struggle socially.

Anyone here children ride or ride them selves? How did you find it, did you get treated fairly? 

• Hi! I am currently in the process of being diagnosed with ASD  (I am 24). I used to do a lot of horse-riding from when I was 9 years old onwards (including show jumping) and it was a huge positive in my life- Riding made me feel free and being with horses had a calming and relaxing effect on me. I loved all aspects of it, not just the riding itself but also the interaction with the horses :). In terms of fitting in, I wish I could say that I made lots of friends with the other people at the stables... I didn't. I never really fit in and mainly kept to myself, but I also didn't have any major problems- some stables were more friendly than others- I often found it easier at smaller stables as there was less going on and it was less busy. I was also lucky that my mum had an interest in horses as well and often kept me company and helped me out at the stables. I was very lucky that once I got more experienced I managed to get to do some riding for free- for a while I got to ride at the home of a family that bred horses- that was amazing as it was very quiet and nice. 

Usually, I tended to have a share on a horse (or even more than one share at one point :)), so that I would take care of one horse and get to build up a relationship with that horse. 

I actually haven't been able to ride in a while but I miss it so much and I am hoping to start again. 

I really hope your daughter can get some lessons and finds a friendly stable. 

Not sure if any of this is helpful. Writing this has just made me realise how much I miss horses though :). 

Ann 

• If you are enjoying riding then any horse will enjoy it too. They are amazing animals and can tell what their rider is feeling by body language. Yes, feeding and being around horses is beautiful but very expensive when having to buy new jackets due to damage from those big teeth! 

• I've had precisely ONE direct interaction with a horse, in my life. I was invited to feed him an apple, a process in which I got real close to some HUGE TEEF and got my hand covered in green slobber, and it was one of the most profoundly beautiful experiences of my life. I really LIKED what I felt "coming from" that horse...

I'd really like to do a bit of horse riding, but only with one who was enjoying the experience too. I don't know how many of those sort of horse there actually are...

• I live on a farm and we've got horses. I'm like your daughter I know so much about horses it's an obsession and interest of mine. I also ride, most days. I've never had an instructor, my mum taught me but I do get on great with it and I'm sure your daughter will as well. It can be scary the first time but she'll be absolutely fine.

• Hello, I have looked after horses for many years and found it very therapeutic after trying to deal with people. Horses are very intelligent animals and will bond with your daughter. There is a local disabled riding school near to my area so maybe there is one local to you that could help your daughter learn to ride? Autism should not be a barrier. I hope you find a local riding school and have fun riding.

• My daughter used to horse ride. The instructors were amazing. Unfortunately they stopped the lessons otherwise we would still be carrying on. It was a great experience 

• I have ADD and Autism, and they let me fly aeroplanes! Why shouldn't she ride a horse? You don't have to lead with the autism declaration when you book a course, and personally I'd be inclined to let 'em get to know her on her own lights, first before divulging it. 

If they like by then, they'll like her more, and if they don;t they may well have a re-think in the light of the new information.

Let your daughter be a KID and not a "case" if you possibly can. Would be my advice as a successful parent of an ADD kid.

Oh and always "have her back" even if you later have to explain in a suitable moment why she was wrong. My kid didn't have to lie to me, and knew if she gave me the truth I could work things to her advantage better. She is coping much better with her life currently than I ever did, so I guess it worked for her.

• It's amazing. I did a few lunge lessons on an ex race horse and I felt very privileged that it allowed me to do that. Wish I'd had more but time and funds blah...