A revelation about getting on with people

I've realised that people prefer it if I start with pleasantries, not just going straight to the point of what I want to say.

e.g. just now I went to get my recycling bin after it had been emptied. At least I thought it was my bin. I saw my neighbour getting into his car so I called 'is this my bin?' He looked blankly at me and said, 'hello, how are you? Haven't seen you for a while.' I was confused, I needed to know if that bin was mine or his. He was confused because he hadn't seen me for a while and wanted to say hello, not talk about bins.

Then it dawned on me, ta dahhhhhhhhhh! I should have said 'hello how are you?' Before launching into the questions about the bin.

I like to get straight to the point, never mind chit chat. Most humans prefer the chit chat first. Bulb 

I hope this has been helpful Sweat smile 

Parents
  • NT communication 101! Think of 3 things you couldn’t careless about, and say that before asking the real question.

”hi, how are you? how are the kids getting on at school? weather has been terrible hasn’t it? By the way….?

I find I can ask the questions, but I struggle to make my tone of voice or facial expressions sound and look actually interested.

• this made me laugh thanks

• I find KikiCat's comments hilarious most of the time Smiley  real talent in cheering up autistic Smiley

• I am done with forum and social media controversies etc. I am bored of trolls and all those types. I used to get sucked into it all but I just mute/block now. It's a shame we can't block people on this forum, or can we?

• FWIW I quite like what I've read of your posts. You also handled someone attempting to suck you into a recent forum controversy involving myself very well.

• I can't follow this damm board. Do you mean how I met my husband? I was pretty lucky. I think we don't acknowledge how great a part luck plays in our lives.

I wish the comments were more clearly linked.

• I kind of agree with you but again with reservations. Events like when friends/ relatives die horribly, or people are murdered or abused etc. If these things happen, they are undeniably bad and there's no interpreting or growing.

Such as, my friend's one year old baby died suddenly in his cot. How is that positive or a source of learning or growing? It's just awful. 

My dad died horribly from leukaemia when I was 13, the same as above.

The Manchester Ariana Grande concert bombing, the same as above.

I think some events are just negative, nothing positive about them.

Minor events in life, maybe, but seeing everything as neutral would lead to people shrugging and saying 'oh well, let's not tighten gun laws' or whatever.

• I kind of agree with you but again with reservations. Events like when friends/ relatives die horribly, or people are murdered or abused etc. If these things happen, they are undeniably bad and there's no interpreting or growing.

Such as, my friend's one year old baby died suddenly in his cot. How is that positive or a source of learning or growing? It's just awful. 

My dad died horribly from leukaemia when I was 13, the same as above.

The Manchester Ariana Grande concert bombing, the same as above.

I think some events are just negative, nothing positive about them.

Minor events in life, maybe, but seeing everything as neutral would lead to people shrugging and saying 'oh well, let's not tighten gun laws' or whatever.

Children
No Data