Is there a type of autistic person interested in words?

The stereotyped autistic person is obsessed with maths, science, technology, but I wondered if there is another type who is obsessed with words, correcting word mistakes, dictionaries, learning new words etc. A Word Nerd.

I am a proud Word Nerd, I have zero interest or skills in maths, science, technology. It is a reason I didn't even consider I was autistic until I was in my 40s/50s- I wasn't a computer geek, so I couldn't be autistic, could I?

What do you think?

• I got that. Told I sounded that. Received pronunciation from the telly.

Another thing I got told was that I sounded like I had learnt to read before learning to speak. 

• Oh that is literally super annoying!

• Or saying 'literally' in every sentence, usually wrongly.

• Yes, I was diagnosed this year and I thought 'Oh, well that explains why I've always been the weirdo.' And moved onto the next thing.

I've definitely never had narrow interests, I move from one to the other all the time. I can't understand people who've had the same interest all their lives, how do they not get bored?

• Maybe we've all been left here by them.

I hoped having my DNA tested would show that I was a very unusual type and I could find some relatives but I'm part of one of the largest haplogroups!

My body doesn't work the same way as other humans though...

• Or using "super" an adverb or modifier.

• Exactly.  I'd love to at least touch base with the mother ship.  :)

• That's good but yes, the other people must have very low scores indeed!Blush 

• Now we just have to find the planet we came from...Yum 

I wonder if my purpose was to cancel out my husband's dyslexia, that is freaky how that happened...

• Good to know I'm not alone. I never met someone like me.

• I am a Maths geek and English has always been my weak point, until a couple of years ago when I signed up for a course in Functional English.  

Since then I discovered metaphors, similes etc and my interest in words and language has awakened, my spelling has improved.

At the initial assessment I was given a computerized English test.  I felt that I struggled very badly with the spelling and grammar.

To my surprise, I was told I had recorded the record highest score at that centre for an initial assessment.  I didn't get a swelled head because I realised that the standard of the other trainees must be very very low.

I took a photo of my test scores.

• i have a life ling interest in words, i'm crap with numbers

• Well they say Autistic people have narrow interests. Or specialized interests.  I don't know how that separates us from most academics.  I've never been one of those Autistic people who are super interested in Autism actually. Do you know what i mean? I think it's because i was diagnosed so long ago and so young.  (2000)

• Thanks for the explanation! My husband is dyslexic, my hyperlexia has cancelled that out because our daughter shows no signs of dyslexia whatsoever!

There is SUCH prejudice about being 'posh' or a 'snob' in Britain. Those words seem to be used interchangeably, but obviously they have different meanings.

It's sad. Not long ago people tried to educate and better themselves. e.g. my granddad. Now people seem to be trying their best to be as uneducated, common and ignorant as possible. It's a race to the bottom...

I don't know what I was like when I was young, my mum just said I talked a lot. My daughter has always used long words, luckily her teachers have been delighted, not judgemental.

That's cute about you with the delphiniums!

• Oh!  The invented words thing.  :)  We have "wickelly whys" (for swinging between chairs), " husbutty" (for anything appealling but a little uncomfortable) and an unusual number of nicknames for anyone within the family.

• Yes, i was a snob too, apparently.  And this continued into the workplace.  A colleague once confessed to me that she saw and overheard me talking to a receptionist when I came in for interview and went back to her office and said, "I hope they don't offer the job to that posh woman!"  (NB I come from a very impoverished background)

I think there are different types of hyperlexia but in my family we seem to learn to speak early, adopt an adult vocabulary (getting puzzled at "baby talk" and wondering why adults are speaking that way) and then use a much wider vocabulary than our peers.  When he first went to nursery, for example, my son was using whole sentences while his peer group only had a handful of words.  At the time we thought this was why he related better to the nursery staff but much later on we became aware that this can be typical of some autistic children.

A story from my parents from when I was waiting with them at the bus stop when I was very young (preschool at least).  An elderly neighbour started talking to me about the "bonny blue flowers" in a garden across the road and I said, "Yes.  They're delphiniums."  :)

And from me with my son, aged around 3 or 4, at a pantomime.   Lots of encouragement for the audience to clap and join in.  So my son, apparently quite alarmed by this, said, "I don't like audience participation!"     

• The same- writing is the only thing I'm good at.

I've started many blogs but always lose interest and move on too quickly Joy 

• I am exactly like you! We are of the same species! I rarely meet word nerds like me.

My mum said she didn't know how I learned to read, one day I couldn't read and the next day I could. My daughter was the same.

My husband is dyslexic, he struggled to learn to read and has to laboriously sound out and spell out words, he is always asking me for help. He recently learned how to read upside down (he is 50)

Yes I never understood how people couldn't spell and it used to annoy me. Then I went to work in a school and realised that some people's brains just don't work that way. Some people will never learn to read, write and spell. I worked with a severely dyslexic boy, he could only spell his name and 3 letter words. One day however, he shouted 'Miss! Is that letter a B?' Everyone in the class clapped.

That was a huge eye opener for me. That and realising my husband is dyslexic, so are most of his family. They weren't diagnosed at school because dyslexia wasn't known about back then, they just thought they were stupid. My husband was put in the slow readers class. Now he's a trained nurse, teacher, he manages his own training department at a company. Definitely not stupid.

One of my proudest achievements is that my hyperlexia or whatever it is, has cancelled out my husband's dyslexia. Our daughter is not dyslexic in the slightest. She has been helping her dad with spelling since she was 8 years old!

I see spelling in my head when people talk, I see the shapes of words, I watch everything with subtitles on. I don't even know I do it now, they are on all the time!

My very dyslexic late mother in law complained about this, she said 'why do we have the letters on? Turn them off'. She could barely read or write tbh. Books were a mystery to her, she didn't know what an address book was when I asked for one for my birthday and I got a diary instead. What a strange world to live in with no understanding of words...

One of the words things I do is read the ingredients on shampoo and make up bottles. The oxy moxy hydro stuff. I read them aloud for tongue twister practice, it is a lot of fun!

• I agree, stereotypes are used too much and people have surely been missed due to that.

At school I was a 'posh snob' because I spoke correctly and knew a lot of words. Years ago that used to be a good thing didn't it? Educating yourself? Shrug‍♀️

I've heard of hyperlexia, remind me what it is again? It's good for the job of proofreading anyway, lol.

• Same here. And 'I was sat down in the waiting room.' SITTING down, not sat.

The no. 1 bugbear for me is for example:

Strawberry's for sale. There are lot's and lot's of books.

That unnecessary apostrophe for plurals! No plurals use apostrophes! Persevere