Is there a type of autistic person interested in words?

The stereotyped autistic person is obsessed with maths, science, technology, but I wondered if there is another type who is obsessed with words, correcting word mistakes, dictionaries, learning new words etc. A Word Nerd.

I am a proud Word Nerd, I have zero interest or skills in maths, science, technology. It is a reason I didn't even consider I was autistic until I was in my 40s/50s- I wasn't a computer geek, so I couldn't be autistic, could I?

What do you think?

Parents
  • I'm pretty sure Autists have all kinds of narrow interests.  I'm obsessed with all kinds of things. If i could cope with life a bit easier i probably would of been a Councillor or an MP.  That's where i have the most knowledge.  Before i dropped out of school my best subject was History.  So perhaps i could of been this generations Eric Hobsbawm.  I guess i'll never know now.  My wants are just the basics of life now.

• I wouldn't say an interest in words is narrow, words are used by 100% of people on the planet! haha.

• Well they say Autistic people have narrow interests. Or specialized interests.  I don't know how that separates us from most academics.  I've never been one of those Autistic people who are super interested in Autism actually. Do you know what i mean? I think it's because i was diagnosed so long ago and so young.  (2000)

• Oh yes, don't take on other people's jobs. Definitely not.

• Why ever did you think I meant you were being abusive? I don't understand.

I meant that I can get obsessed with people then eventually I realise they are using me/ they are narcissists/ they are shallow etc. and I lose interest. They wonder why I suddenly disappear Joy And it's saved me from them.

• Ug, the most annoying thing is people 'giving you stuff to do', my first reaction is thinking "fxxkoff, I've got plenty of my own stuff to do".

• I'm not being abusive i'm just trying to explain to you what restricted interests are.  

• No, I can't say I've ever been interested in things as specific as those. I dabble in things, I have an interest, learn a bit about it, then move on e.g. Viking world history, MotoGP riders, dyslexia, Maneskin. I meet people who really are obsessed with those subjects and I think 'gosh, who cares what their shoe size is, move on' Joy 

I've often had people excitedly show me some information about a former interest of mine and thought 'why are they showing me that?' Then remembered I moved on from it some time ago.

It's quite funny. But I like it because my constant changing has saved me from abusive people.

• Restricted interests are common in people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). For example, a person might be interested in a specific TV show, math or drawing. People with restricted interests are often experts on the topics or objects they enjoy. Sometimes they share their interests with others.

I don't think it has to be the same interest all the time to qualify.

• Yes, I was diagnosed this year and I thought 'Oh, well that explains why I've always been the weirdo.' And moved onto the next thing.

I've definitely never had narrow interests, I move from one to the other all the time. I can't understand people who've had the same interest all their lives, how do they not get bored?

• Yes, I was diagnosed this year and I thought 'Oh, well that explains why I've always been the weirdo.' And moved onto the next thing.

I've definitely never had narrow interests, I move from one to the other all the time. I can't understand people who've had the same interest all their lives, how do they not get bored?

Children
  • Oh yes, don't take on other people's jobs. Definitely not.

• Why ever did you think I meant you were being abusive? I don't understand.

I meant that I can get obsessed with people then eventually I realise they are using me/ they are narcissists/ they are shallow etc. and I lose interest. They wonder why I suddenly disappear Joy And it's saved me from them.

• Ug, the most annoying thing is people 'giving you stuff to do', my first reaction is thinking "fxxkoff, I've got plenty of my own stuff to do".

• I'm not being abusive i'm just trying to explain to you what restricted interests are.  

• No, I can't say I've ever been interested in things as specific as those. I dabble in things, I have an interest, learn a bit about it, then move on e.g. Viking world history, MotoGP riders, dyslexia, Maneskin. I meet people who really are obsessed with those subjects and I think 'gosh, who cares what their shoe size is, move on' Joy 

I've often had people excitedly show me some information about a former interest of mine and thought 'why are they showing me that?' Then remembered I moved on from it some time ago.

It's quite funny. But I like it because my constant changing has saved me from abusive people.

• Restricted interests are common in people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). For example, a person might be interested in a specific TV show, math or drawing. People with restricted interests are often experts on the topics or objects they enjoy. Sometimes they share their interests with others.

I don't think it has to be the same interest all the time to qualify.