Shopping "difficulties" (not a big shop)

How does everyone find going shopping? 

I find it difficult organising myself and remembering what to buy outside general food. i make a list of meals and usually do 2 shops a week. But it's the other stuff I have problems with like toiletries or cleaning because they all run out at different times. And you cant always get what you need from the same shop.

Then there's remembering greetings cards. Online card shops have helped although you pay a premium it's easier to choose and they send you reminders. I'm often late with birthday cards.

I've delegated buying lightbulb to my partner for the rest of our lives.

Then there's other non-necessary stuff. I'm known for umming and ahhhing, carrying something around the shop with me then putting it down at the last minute and not buying it. Or I go especially to buy something but it's not in stock then I give up. Then I think "well I'll try online" then there's too many different websites, measurements,  prices etc.

Then I struggle when there's too much choice. I need new boot laces and tried a well known shoe repair who don't stock them. They said try the original shop. I did in store and online. No luck.  The store said contact customer services. I did. They don't make them anymore. Why sell expensive boots if they don't sell matching replacement laces? That frustrated me. So I went online and spent ages looking at other online shops but because I can't see the laces in person I don't know which colour to choose.

The shop I buy make up from suddenly stopped selling the only face powder I've ever worn. Now I have to find a new one. Have you seen how much choice there is?! I crumbled all my old bits together and congealed it with some surgical spirit so I've got a "new" powder press but it won't last forever. When there's too much choice I give up. Or there's different offers depending on which shop you go to but then you can't always guarantee they have everything in stock.

Or if something is not specific enough to what I'm looking for, I don't think "oh this will do instead, save yourself time and just buy this one". Or I look at something jn detail and think "actually it's not very good quality"when most stuff isnt these days as it's all cheap imports. Or I won't buy something if it's not exactly like the old one. Or I think "shop around a bit more" then I end up having to get the first one as there was no other choice for all reasons listed above.

Then I wanted to take something back last week but I didn't have a receipt and they wouldn't even give me a credit note.  I was ready for walking out of the shop and going home (not because i didnt get my own way but the principle of the matter with thr store policy frusytrated me and possibly because I was expecting a credit note as you can do in a lot of other stores) but it was a day out with a family member and I didn't want to spoil it. I couldn't concentrate for about an hour afterwards.

Has anyone got any tips? I take a list but it's remembering to put on it. Then when I get home usually that night we run out of something which I should've seen coming. Or my partner says "did you buy such a thing?" Well if he didn't tell me when I asked, then no. I do these shops in dribs and drabs. Maybe I need a routine of doing it on a certain day once a week or fortnight.

I'm going shopping in a bit.  I wish myself luck.

Parents
  • I try to get everything from my local Tesco and use their online service to make a list before I go so I get an idea of prices and deals. Then I write a list before I go and cross off the bits I get. I walk down (it takes about 20 mins each way) so I can't get everything in one shop, but I like the walk and it forces me to get out of the flat.

I structure my list in the order I will buy it judged on the location of goods in the store. I don't like to spend too much time in shops with fluorescent lights as they make me faint so I have to come up with ways of making the whole process very efficient - in and out. If I need something I can't get from my local Tesco then I add it to my weekly to do list and structure that day to take into account the stress of going to a different shop. But if I can order it online and get it delivered, that's the better option. 

I spend a lot of time organising and tweaking my routine but I actually enjoy the process of being that pedantic! Smiley It also saves me stress down the line. I've decided not to even bother trying to be normal anymore. I'm eccentric and quirky and that's just fine Slight smile

• love it ---- i wear tinted glasses sometimes due to the lighting ( always bring them in case )   ---- this was an interesting read

• That's such a great idea! I automatically take off my sunglasses when I go into the shop. I didn't even think to keep them on. Thanks, aidie, I will try that tip Slight smile

Reply Children