Overeating

The NHS estimates that almost a third of adults in the UK are obese, and that one in five children aged 10 to 11 are obese. That's a lot of people eating way too much fast and doing little to no exercise (we're all sitting on our big fat behinds way too much)What makes people overweight? Are we more likely to be obese if we're autistic? BBC journalist Michael Buerk announced recently that fat people should be allowed to drop dead and no longer trouble the NHS with their chubby troubles. He said, "The obese will die a decade earlier than the rest of us; see it as a selfless sacrifice in the fight against demographic imbalance, overpopulation and climate change.'" (Michael Buerk)

Parents
  • There's something wrong at the source. How many humans slowly wake up to the idea that the discomfort they've been feeling their whole life isn't normal? I've had friends in Italy who said most just lived with gluten intolerance until 10 years ago when society started accepting it. Being addicted to feeling healthy isn't normal. 

I live in the UK, but when I'm back in the US, eating the exact same things, there's an incredible difference in my ability to properly digest and 'expunge' it: Fully process it. Carrots and berries are flavourless if not bitter. Foods are not the same - last time I was back apple skin and red pepper skin seemed impossible to bite through. I typically end up not eating much & suffer until I return. And I have a collexion of vitamins I take on a regular basis and a set of dietary restraints.

Yes, humans can over-eat from depression and comfort eating. They can fail to take care of themselves for all kinds of psychological reasons. But I know I don't get enough nutrients from what I eat to begin with and it took years of modifying my diet until I worked out what was causing problems (doctors rarely help). I always start with biology & external sources before condemning someones (or my own) emotional or psychological well-being. 

• There have always been a very tiny minority of people who over-eat because of a psychological problem but that cannot account for the absolute explosion in obesity in modern times, but I think answer is much simpler. It's all to do with our sedentary modern lifestyles.

Reply Children
  • Food has definitely changed. The average muffin in the last 20 years grew from 1.5 ounces and 210 calories to 4 ounces and 500 calories, while the average bagel expanded from three inches and 140 calories to six inches and 350 calories. Everything we eat has become super-sized. Portion sizes, right along with our waistlines, have got consistently more enormous over the past 50 years. 

• Nothing is "simple'.

However, if you're expressing you've done the research into the mineral content of farms, the vitamin content of GM fruit, veg and carbs and can account for what animals eat and how that's broken down in the human system AND have concluded you're absolutely certain there is nothing different in the food source from 100 years ago, then OK.