Feeling overstimulated and sensitive after exercise

Morning guys,

I've started going to the gym again only day two but the other day and today, I came out of the gym feeling quite overwhelmed, overstimulated and tired. I couldn't get home fast enough and I had to go to sleep to calm down and I feel better now but I can tell that I'm still quite sensitive to things going on around me.

I snapped at my dogs too when I came in because I couldn't handle it and now I feel bad because they were only happy to see me.

Does anyone else experience this?

Parents
  • Yeah, O. 

Good for you for making the trip and looking after your physical and mental fitness.  It's been a constant barrier for me for as long as I can remember.

At one stage, they diagnosed me with a mysterious condition called M.E. Now, I know it's not that, but the good thing is that they taught me about pacing

For every period of physical or mental activity, I have to take double the amount of rest immediately afterwards.   I've been working on the garden this week. I've done about 2 hours a day. After two hours, I clean up and spend 4 hours doing nothing with zero sensory stimuli (or as near as I can get it to zero). It doesn't always work completely, but it's a good way of keeping me from completely burning out. 

For things like the gym, or shopping, I have to make sure that the environment is as autistic friendly as possible too in order to minimise any after effects.

I went shopping last week with family and we ended up in a sports shop. I had to leave after about five minutes because they were playing this really aggressive rap music, with the volume turned up. It was hell. So, we went into another store where the music was very low and less aggressive. I was fine in there. 

Hope you're well.

• Yeah, O. 

Good for you for making the trip and looking after your physical and mental fitness.  It's been a constant barrier for me for as long as I can remember.

At one stage, they diagnosed me with a mysterious condition called M.E. Now, I know it's not that, but the good thing is that they taught me about pacing

For every period of physical or mental activity, I have to take double the amount of rest immediately afterwards.   I've been working on the garden this week. I've done about 2 hours a day. After two hours, I clean up and spend 4 hours doing nothing with zero sensory stimuli (or as near as I can get it to zero). It doesn't always work completely, but it's a good way of keeping me from completely burning out. 

For things like the gym, or shopping, I have to make sure that the environment is as autistic friendly as possible too in order to minimise any after effects.

I went shopping last week with family and we ended up in a sports shop. I had to leave after about five minutes because they were playing this really aggressive rap music, with the volume turned up. It was hell. So, we went into another store where the music was very low and less aggressive. I was fine in there. 

Hope you're well.

Children