Lack of motivation

I am feeling very depressed and demotivated at the moment. I am studying from home, I'm doing an art and design course at a college, and I'm finding being stuck in my room all the time and not being able to go into college extremely demotivating and uninspiring. I'm quite behind on my coursework at the moment.

I'm not sure how to raise my motivation levels. I take antidepressants and supplements, I eat healthy food, I go for walks. I think part of the reason why I'm so demotivated is because I'm always stuck on my own in my room and have very little social interaction. I have very few friends, who all have full-time jobs and/or partners and I'm incredibly lonely - I maybe see people once in 2 weeks. 

Any tips to raise motivation levels or stimulate myself while stuck in isolation? Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • Hi, sorry you're feeling so lonely and unmotivated. What works for me when I'm I have no motivation to do what I need to is set small challenges. Each morning decide on something you're going to do and set a reward for its completion. Such as plan my next piece of work then have a pretend spa in the bath. Use things you like and enjoy as your motivation. For loneliness, could you set up a face time with friends once a week, arrange a time to get together online? Or whatever will work for you. That could be motivating also as you would want something positive to mention. I'm sorry if that doesn't help. Hope you feel better soon.

• Yeah I try to motivate myself with rewards but nothing seems to bring me joy at the moment... I think the loneliness and monotony of being stuck in my room, and going for the same walks over and over, have gotten to me.

• Would it perhaps help to do field trips? Get outside and do some art in random places? Find a spot in the park, and draw, or whatever you need to do. 

• Great! Or take photos, make notes, collect things when out that catch your eye, a pretty leaf, an unusual stone or twig. It's amazing what simple things can spark our imagination and creativity. The patterns of light through trees, how shadows can look like something else. Describe a texture of something you touch. Have some fun, explore, chances are this will help with the work you have to do, inspire you and motivate you. Be the child you once were and look for the magic!

• Yeah that's a good idea, cheers! I am mostly doing watercolours for this project though, which I need to do in my room, but I could go outside and do some sketching when the weather is decent.

Reply Children
  • Great! Or take photos, make notes, collect things when out that catch your eye, a pretty leaf, an unusual stone or twig. It's amazing what simple things can spark our imagination and creativity. The patterns of light through trees, how shadows can look like something else. Describe a texture of something you touch. Have some fun, explore, chances are this will help with the work you have to do, inspire you and motivate you. Be the child you once were and look for the magic!