False Evidence Appearing Real

I believe that this world - further to the responses about one of my threads - is governed by irrational fear to such an extent that society feels the need to eliminate risk.

Those who never made a mistake made nothing. The Wright Brothers' first attempt to create a flying machine ended up in the lake. Risk is part and parcel of learning.

End of Story.

• lucky you. My teachers hated my enthusiasm because it totally outstripped their knowledge on the subject. Of course in areas that didn't interest me my lack of enthusiasm was equally epic.

• I taught myself. However, my ambition and enthusiasm was exploited by pushy Teachers.

• Yeah - I've had 10 very near-death experiences so far in my life - it's been like "Final Destination".  Smiley

I'm 7 months into a 3-6 month prognosis.      Every day that I'm still here is the best day ever.  Smiley     

I'm so comfortable with risk that I might take up smoking  Smiley

• every day is a risk ----- and a opportunity  to be alive another day so enjoy it Slight smile

"Goat" smyth

...  was declared dead twice before he was 25 in 2 separate vehicle accidents. The last one left him with a scare which wraps around his body several times in a spiral where he was ripped open by a tractor "power take" off ( drive shaft ).  They sowed him back up again and he was fine. 

• I can't help but agree. When I was a child my mum took me to a chemist to buy chemicals for crystal growing experiments. Not a mere pharmacy, a high street chemist, from whom you could buy generic chemicals. These days if you buy a chemistry set you get a bag of salt a bag of sugar a bottle of water and a 300 page manual on how not to kill yourself with it.

The maxim used to be everything that is not forbidden is permitted. Now people feel like they need permission to blow their nose. Children live in regulated bubbles where they are barely allowed to do anything beyond their parents reach with out supervision until they are 16 or so. Growing up as a homeschooled kid I though my parents were over protective compared to others but I think they're not far off where a lot of kids lives are know where so much of their personal social activity is curated by parents and teachers.