Now, we're the Luddites

I was listening to 'Computer World' by Kraftwerk this afternoon - on Facebook - and was surprised that the computers in the video were from 1981. (when the song was made) It made me a bit sentimental about the 'Good old days' of Technology; before the Internet ruined everything.

I fear what will happen whenever computers become a thing of the past. The phone is just too handy; and has crack-like addiction. (I'll hold my hand up, and say that I have two Huaweis) But I feel Luddite at times. One book about coding was called 'Program, or be Programmed.' Yikes!

This feeling will pass! Slight smile

• I agree - I could have done with being 5 years older - when things were changing fast but it was fun.    I've been sorting out my life's junk recently and I've unearthed a load of circa-1980 electronics magazines - they're full of interesting projects like the E&MM Spectrum Synth and all the Maplin kits.

• I always feel that I was born five or six years too late.

But, hey, I can't change that.

• I just to enjoy solving problems with electronics in the late 70s to mid 80s - then everything went digital and is all became identical circuits with software controlling the functions.      No fun any more.

• I'd quite like the second half of the 17 Century, please.

I think I can handle the printing press existing. Stuff has gone downhill since everything had to go through computers for me.

If I can't go right back to the 17 Century, I wouldn't mind heading back to the 1990s at least.

• Phones today are computers. The internet is essentially an incredibly huge bunch of them connected to each other (ARPA's network was around when that article was released). Now AI is something else to think about all together.

• computers are never going away, sorry they are here to stay forever now. I believe that the book\podcasts  "Program, or be Programmed.'  is about, and  do we control them or will they control us ? ( I havent read the book ).