Commander Data from Star Trek

I noticed that someone on this board recently described themselves as like Commander Data from Star Trek. Very able intellectually but struggles emotionally and socially. It was something like that and I can't remember who wrote it.

But I thought Commander Data was a good metaphor for how I feel and behave- able intellectually but struggles emotionally and socially. Does anyone else feel like that? Data was my favourite character in Star Trek, this must be why!

Parents
  • That'll be me.       In the Star Trek universe, I'd do very well.     On planet earth, I'm screwed.   Smiley   

I also identify with "David" from the film A.I. -  sort of robotic and *almost* human but just missing the finer details of human interaction so easily manipulated by people with an agenda..

• Could we also be like Lore (not in an evil sense) but almost becoming overly emotional too though?....I always thought he had more potential....so did Dr Soong.

• Lor was definitely more spontaneous and instinctive, so maybe he is a better comparison indeed.

• Yeah, that's the classic definition of a psychopath....a total lack of empathy but his chip either goes to 10 or 0 and I think that's the interesting thing about him. I mean, he's the same model as date so would logically be able to think just like him too....it's that bloomin emotion chip he has :D

• Lor is definitely a psychopath, but so many humans are. I definitely have too much empathy, however it has drained me so now I can turn it off easily. I will end up dead if I feel everyone's pain so I ignore it now.

• That's the interesting thing and I definitely think so but I think it's something like in certain aspects we have none or very little and in others we kinda have too much. A friend of mine who's a consultant up in London (although that's not how I know her) said I was one of the most emotional people she knew but in certain aspects and things I'm not if you know what I mean and I think that's kinda how I see Lore.

• That's the interesting thing and I definitely think so but I think it's something like in certain aspects we have none or very little and in others we kinda have too much. A friend of mine who's a consultant up in London (although that's not how I know her) said I was one of the most emotional people she knew but in certain aspects and things I'm not if you know what I mean and I think that's kinda how I see Lore.

Children
  • Yeah, that's the classic definition of a psychopath....a total lack of empathy but his chip either goes to 10 or 0 and I think that's the interesting thing about him. I mean, he's the same model as date so would logically be able to think just like him too....it's that bloomin emotion chip he has :D

• Lor is definitely a psychopath, but so many humans are. I definitely have too much empathy, however it has drained me so now I can turn it off easily. I will end up dead if I feel everyone's pain so I ignore it now.