Commander Data from Star Trek

I noticed that someone on this board recently described themselves as like Commander Data from Star Trek. Very able intellectually but struggles emotionally and socially. It was something like that and I can't remember who wrote it.

But I thought Commander Data was a good metaphor for how I feel and behave- able intellectually but struggles emotionally and socially. Does anyone else feel like that? Data was my favourite character in Star Trek, this must be why!

Parents Reply Children
  • My favourite Star Trek film too.

• Definitely my favourite. I know Enterprise wasn't brilliant but I like how they tied in the result of first contact and how the Enterprise first met them on the neutral zone too....I think first contact was so good none of the other next gen movies really had a chance.

• No, I'm not the Borg Queen, haha! I like First Contact, that's my favourite of all Star Trek films. Assimilate this!

And the scene on the holodeck with all the holograms dancing, and the Borg trying to assimilate them Joy

• That's basically what the Borg queen said in First Contact.....yes, I am a big fan of Star Trek :D

• Aha. I found an answer for this, I might post about it. The answer according to psychologist/ psychiatrist (can't remember which) Dr Jonice Webb is several times a day, when you aren't in crisis, ask yourself 'what am I feeling right now? What do I want to do with this feeling?' It's scary at first but keep doing it and it gets easier. My emotions seem less overwhelming now.

• Oh no, I'm not logical at all really, I tend to go by instinct and find logic hard to understand. Maybe something is logical, maybe it isn't. Each time is different for me.

• Having no emotions would be preferable for me, I think. I quite frankly can't stand having them for the most part. I don't particularly like 'positive' emotions either. They always feel like too much. 

Although I seem to find it hard to know when I have positive emotions in the first place. I know I'm feeling too much but I won't always realise that what I'm feeling originally came from a positive place. This is something I'm only just learning is a possible explanation for me never seeming to report 'positive' emotions. I think they turn into distress for me because they feel like too much. 

• well an AI that is designed to write Novels would need to be able to understand emotions of humans 

• I'm very much like an android - I really don't 'do' emotions - I'm 100% logic all the way.

If I try to do emotions, I get very messed up and unpredictable - just like Mr Data.

In fact, if you remember the episode where he built a daughter, I malfunction like she did when they wanted to dismantle her.    Even thinking about it makes me tearful and upset.