Alcohol

Is drinking a wearing experience for you? For me, like for everyone, the way I react to this depends on the type of the drink and my previous state (like if I have eaten anything or not) but it's not a pleasure! I feel like I need to focus more on functioning, I waste more energy. I feel as if someone hit me on the head - that's a perfect explanation of how I cope with alcohol. Does any of you react in this way? Is it a type of hypersensitivity? Do any of you react differently? 

Also, I hate how alcohol steals my ability to think, to notice things. I like thinking!

Parents
  • Also, I hate how alcohol steals my ability to think, to notice things. I like thinking!

This is precisely the reason that I don't drink! I've never been drunk in my life and just how it affects other people puzzles me.

• It's legal and accepted in our society. I grew up where alcoholism either was laughed-off or considered perfectly normal or even encouraged as some kind of machoism or coming of age nonsense. I've found that in North America and the UK  it is more encouraged as normal, where as, in Europe and other places, it is much more balanced and integrated at appropriated times, such as festivals, outdoor eating/events, music festivals etc etc

• It's legal and accepted in our society. I grew up where alcoholism either was laughed-off or considered perfectly normal or even encouraged as some kind of machoism or coming of age nonsense. I've found that in North America and the UK  it is more encouraged as normal, where as, in Europe and other places, it is much more balanced and integrated at appropriated times, such as festivals, outdoor eating/events, music festivals etc etc

Children
  • I cannot disagree with you, Having experienced it. Youth culture  in Europe is only following the the same trend. Hollywood movies are everywhere. That does not make them gospel. What happens after the credits roll is up to your imagination, The biggest seller is ; things are good, then something goes wrong and somehow, , it must involve  a happy ending of widespread acclaim no matter what. Of course,  this is not real life, Those 3 things do not correspond with real life unfortunately, Life can be messy and complicated and very much confusing. Hollywood movies ignore this and in many ways put the blame on you , much like tabloid newspapers. It is not real. 

• You do raise a good point (especially in relation to the masculinity and 'coming of age' rituals) it just seems that more and more alcohol is being used as a way to cope with an increasingly messy and unpredictable world. This being said, youth drinking culture is often just as bad across Europe as well as in the UK, but this is just an observation.