Smells you love and smells you hate.

Just thought I would start an informal discussion about the smells that you love and the smells you hate.

I hate the following smells:

Cigarette smoke - I have to hold my breath when walking past a smoker, or walk in the opposite direction.

Hand cream - hate the strong smelling one that some people apply in my company. I say nothing because I don't like conflict, but it makes me gag, and so I have to hold my breath.

Strong perfume and deoderant

Car exhaust fumes

Food smells in confined spaces, like the smell of other peoples' fish and chips when I am on the train

Seaweed

Bonfire smoke

Smells I love:

Tea

Pastries

Fresh bread

The countryside

Sheep and cattle smells

Parents
  • Hope said:
    Cigarette smoke - I have to hold my breath when walking past a smoker, or walk in the opposite direction.

I know a cure for that! Take up smoking! And don't quit, ever.

No, don't, not really. Smoking's a bad and disgusting habit. However...

It's sort of wierd, I sort of used to smoke (I say 'sort of' because part of my 'stopping smoking' is by not 'stopping smoking' (I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense, and is a whole other thread, but trust me it does make sense (and has to do with the psychology of addiction and the whole stop-fail-rebound cycle))), anyway, as I was saying, I sort of used to smoke, and when I did I never noticed the smell of cigarette smoke, ever.

But, now I've sort of stopped, I hate it, can't stand even walking behind someone who is a smoker but isn't smoking! And it's not a because it makes me want to smoke - quit the opposite - it is the most repulsive smell!

Anyway, my list:

Like:

• Bacon.
    • Freshly baked bread.
    • Tea.
    • Bonfire smoke.
    • 'New consumer goods' smell.
    • Rain.
    • Strawberry.

Dislike:

• 'Countryside'/'animal' smells.
    • Car exhausts.
    • 'Fish'/Seaside.
    • Burnt toast.
    • Burning rubber/plastic.
    • Sewage.
  • Hope said:

I know a cure for that! Take up smoking! And don't quit, ever.

No, don't, not really. Smoking's a bad and disgusting habit. However...

It's sort of wierd, I sort of used to smoke (I say 'sort of' because part of my 'stopping smoking' is by not 'stopping smoking' (I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense, and is a whole other thread, but trust me it does make sense (and has to do with the psychology of addiction and the whole stop-fail-rebound cycle))), anyway, as I was saying, I sort of used to smoke, and when I did I never noticed the smell of cigarette smoke, ever.

But, now I've sort of stopped, I hate it, can't stand even walking behind someone who is a smoker but isn't smoking! And it's not a because it makes me want to smoke - quit the opposite - it is the most repulsive smell!

Anyway, my list:

Like:

• Bacon.
    • Freshly baked bread.
    • Tea.
    • Bonfire smoke.
    • 'New consumer goods' smell.
    • Rain.
    • Strawberry.

Dislike:

• 'Countryside'/'animal' smells.
    • Car exhausts.