Drive-By Posts

Am I the only one noticing lots and lots of new posts from new users where they never return to check back with their urgent questions?       It's like they are cut-n-pastes from other forums.      I'm beginning to think these are just padding to make the forum look more busy than it really is. 

I'm getting very reluctant to bother replying to any of them as I don't believe they are real people.

Anyone else noticing this pattern?

Parents
  • Hi, if i can throw in my two penn’orth! I think I may fall into the category you’re referring to, although not deliberately. For me, and I suspect others, when you first start considering yourself, seeking assessment and then waiting for one, this is the first forum you tend to find. It’s been really helpful to me thus far and reassured me I’m not going completely out of my mind.

However, until I’m officially diagnosed I feel like a bit of a fraud talking to peeps like yourself, who I assume are well established in this world. So I stay on the fringes and drop in and out every so often.

• Hi, if i can throw in my two penn’orth! I think I may fall into the category you’re referring to, although not deliberately. For me, and I suspect others, when you first start considering yourself, seeking assessment and then waiting for one, this is the first forum you tend to find. It’s been really helpful to me thus far and reassured me I’m not going completely out of my mind.

However, until I’m officially diagnosed I feel like a bit of a fraud talking to peeps like yourself, who I assume are well established in this world. So I stay on the fringes and drop in and out every so often.

Children
  • And as I am here again after some time away, I too fall into one of those categories of being 'involved' for a while and then retreating. For me, this is a feature of the difficulties with my Asperger's, I find communication gets more confusing the more people are involved and the more that a person says, even in writing which is my preferred communication method.

I also tend to randomly ask questions of a poster if I've read something that is too ambiguous for me, when I have not been involved in the process of the posting of the conversation but I don't see a problem with that. There is another forum where I was doing this and it annoyed some people as they said you can't just come on to a forum and ask these questions, which I was really hurt and confused by as that is why I joined in the first place. Apparently, there seems to be 'social rules' on forums too and unfortunately for me I struggle with this just as I do in the non electronic social world

This is reflected in my life too I guess, with the 'difficulties building and maintaining friendships/relationships' which I'm not good at and also asking what to others seems like random questions about something which was said 3 weeks ago as I'll still be processing it. Guess that's why I've often been called stupid.

I saw another post on here about trolls and I was called one of those once on a forum because I asked a question that apparently I just did to cause people to argue! I was so upset and confused as I just don't understand how asking questions can cause so much 'trouble'. I even had to look up what a 'troll' meant on forums and asked my one friend what it meant and to explain why it was a problem which they thought was funny, but I was so upset.

And finally, there is the depression and hopelessness which sets in and that makes things even more difficult as you just think what is the point, you don't 'fit' anywhere.

And yes, I acknowledge plastic's contribution to the forum and think he is one of the most sensible, logical posters on the forum along with DC who's style is different but who's posts I also like.

I was diagnosed 19 months ago and I'm still trying to come to terms with it. I don't know if that's normal or not.