Will my children have autism?

Hi, 

I'm looking to connect with siblings of autistic people who have had children or would like to have children. 

My sister and I have a younger brother with low-functioning autism and complex needs, he needs at least 1-2-1 care. My mother has Asperger and her brother has mild autism and lives in a care home. 

As it seems its hereditary in my family, I have reached out to a doctors and have been referred to a genetics counselor. However, I understand they probably won't be able to tell me that much. 

We would like to hear your experiences. Do reach out Slight smile

Look forward to talking. 

Marilyn 

Parents
  • Hi Marilyn,

I was the first person in my family diagnosed with ASD, but in recent years my mother has found that a lot of her cousins and distant relatives have been diagnosed with it in adulthood, with and many late relatives are now suspected of having it, so it certainly seems to be at least somewhat genetic.

It makes me reluctant to ever have children to the great disappointment of my girlfriend, as I'm scared they will face the same issues and treatments that I have.

• Hi Marilyn,

I was the first person in my family diagnosed with ASD, but in recent years my mother has found that a lot of her cousins and distant relatives have been diagnosed with it in adulthood, with and many late relatives are now suspected of having it, so it certainly seems to be at least somewhat genetic.

It makes me reluctant to ever have children to the great disappointment of my girlfriend, as I'm scared they will face the same issues and treatments that I have.

Children
No Data