Autistic son obsessed with anime character Sakura haruno

So recently my eldest son has been interested in anime including naruto and my hero academia. He had recently become obsessed with the naruto character Sakura Haruno. He's been watching videos and cosplays of her online, searching things up about her and keeps talking about her to me. He now also wants to cosplay as her. 

Does anybody know how to tell him to calm down about his obsession without offending him.

Parents
  • Hi, I can understand your wanting to direct his attention to preparing for changes in his life. What I've found with my own fixations is that following them is the right path for me rather than resisting them, but also being careful about not letting them interfere with day-to-day living. Once I reach the 'end' of a fixation it's because I've found the information that something in me was looking for. For instance, maybe your son is drawn to Sakura Haruno because something about their character has gripped his attention and he's trying to understand it, like their abilities or personality traits. It could be good to put limits around the time spent on it but maybe ask some exploring questions to help him to get to the bottom of it, which might help to move through it in a shorter time.

• Hi, I can understand your wanting to direct his attention to preparing for changes in his life. What I've found with my own fixations is that following them is the right path for me rather than resisting them, but also being careful about not letting them interfere with day-to-day living. Once I reach the 'end' of a fixation it's because I've found the information that something in me was looking for. For instance, maybe your son is drawn to Sakura Haruno because something about their character has gripped his attention and he's trying to understand it, like their abilities or personality traits. It could be good to put limits around the time spent on it but maybe ask some exploring questions to help him to get to the bottom of it, which might help to move through it in a shorter time.

Children
No Data