Help needed please.

We have an adult son who we think may well be autistic. We are in the process of trying to get a diagnosis. Over the years we have noticed so many things but overlooked it as in the main his behaviours are similar to most of us; and we are all somewhere on the spectrum, right?

Why I say we need help, is because we want him to be able to help himself in certain things and to understand that we believe small tweaks to his habits and behaviours will help him massively. We might be wrong, but we want him to try and see if things improve for him. For example, he will do something in a certain way, which takes a long time. To help explain what I mean, when he was younger he had a paper round. He would start at No 1, then cross the road and do No 2, then cross back, do No 3, cross back and do No 4 etc all the way up to 106. He would be crossing back and forth all the way taking more than twice as long to do the road, than if he just started at No 1, did all the odds and cross once and do all the evens. We explained this and he seemed to agree and understand, but then continued to do it his way. We tried to explain that doing it in this way was taking him nearly 3 times longer to do that same task than someone else. He agreed, or at least seemed to agree. We asked him to just try it our way so he could see for himself the difference and if he still wanted to do it his way, great, but then he should understand that people may think that was inefficient, eg a future employer.

Another example is his parking of his car. So we live in a road where we have some parking bays on one side and none on the other. When he parks he drives in face forward and straight into a parking bay. No issue really with that. The problem is that when our neighbours opposite arrive on the none bay side they just park on the road in front of their houses. This now makes reversing his car out much much harder. I have suggested to him that when he arrives to reverse park into the bay, so that when he wants to drive out and our neighbour’s cars are opposite he can easily manoeuvre his car straight out. He finds reverse parking easy to do and agrees that the driving straight out is also much easier, yet he still parks face forward and then struggles with trying to get his car out when the neighbours have parked up.

I guess what I am asking is that despite his agreeing with us, he still practices the ‘inefficient’ or ‘difficult’ option and there are so so many examples. We need help in maybe explaining it so that he genuinely does understand, as it seems that he is just agreeing and then doing his own thing. It is so so frustrating. It causes arguments and we so so desperately want to help him but equally want him to help himself. It almost feels like he nods, but doesn’t actually get what we are saying, so we need to say it differently, maybe.

Anyways, any help welcome. Sorry to go on...

Parents
  • I don’t know if your son is similar to me but I do tend to find other inputs or ideas that would make things more efficient a bit of an attack/criticism even if it isn’t meant to be or even if the advice is better than the way i am doing it. I find it difficult to see it as someone trying to make it easier for me and more that it’s a criticism of the way I am doing it. 
    We soon learn if our way doesn’t work or what needs tweaking just like everyone else but if my way works for me and doesn’t really affect anyone then what’s the harm? Say for instance with the paper round if he didn’t feel a time pressure and was happy to do it the way he was or maybe even was happier spending the time out on his own doing the route and that’s an excuse to make it a bit longer and do it at his own pace, or he just found it amusing to do it in order. If he wanted to get them done faster or knew it was a problem or wrong to do it the way he did then he would learn for himself and work out what he wants to do instead. 
    I get the parking... we have neighbours who have 2 sons both parking where they like in the road and not in actual spaces and I guess the frustrating thing for your son is that he shouldn’t have to change the way he parks because of how others do.. I find this quite a pattern for me if I feel I am allowed to do what I am doing then I shouldn’t have to change that for the convenience of others... but then I’m not one for the confrontation that would bring either so I would rather park at the end of my road instead of trying to struggle getting out of the road because of someone else’s parking. 

just being there for him is the main thing, we all have to learn either way and it’s not fun feeling like people want to chime in on how you do things if it doesn’t actually cause you a problem.

• I don’t know if your son is similar to me but I do tend to find other inputs or ideas that would make things more efficient a bit of an attack/criticism even if it isn’t meant to be or even if the advice is better than the way i am doing it. I find it difficult to see it as someone trying to make it easier for me and more that it’s a criticism of the way I am doing it. 
    We soon learn if our way doesn’t work or what needs tweaking just like everyone else but if my way works for me and doesn’t really affect anyone then what’s the harm? Say for instance with the paper round if he didn’t feel a time pressure and was happy to do it the way he was or maybe even was happier spending the time out on his own doing the route and that’s an excuse to make it a bit longer and do it at his own pace, or he just found it amusing to do it in order. If he wanted to get them done faster or knew it was a problem or wrong to do it the way he did then he would learn for himself and work out what he wants to do instead. 
    I get the parking... we have neighbours who have 2 sons both parking where they like in the road and not in actual spaces and I guess the frustrating thing for your son is that he shouldn’t have to change the way he parks because of how others do.. I find this quite a pattern for me if I feel I am allowed to do what I am doing then I shouldn’t have to change that for the convenience of others... but then I’m not one for the confrontation that would bring either so I would rather park at the end of my road instead of trying to struggle getting out of the road because of someone else’s parking. 

just being there for him is the main thing, we all have to learn either way and it’s not fun feeling like people want to chime in on how you do things if it doesn’t actually cause you a problem.

Children
  • Thank you. I hear you guys loud and clear. Our input really isn’t meant as a criticism; we are genuinely trying to help, but I understand that if he is receiving it as a criticism, how that is no incentive to take on board what we say.

We love him so much and he is so so intelligent, able, capable and can achieve so much. I just want him to max out his opportunities,fulfil his potential.

I am understanding so much more now that part of helping him in achieving more is in allowing him to flourish his way.

Thank you.