Help needed please.

We have an adult son who we think may well be autistic. We are in the process of trying to get a diagnosis. Over the years we have noticed so many things but overlooked it as in the main his behaviours are similar to most of us; and we are all somewhere on the spectrum, right?

Why I say we need help, is because we want him to be able to help himself in certain things and to understand that we believe small tweaks to his habits and behaviours will help him massively. We might be wrong, but we want him to try and see if things improve for him. For example, he will do something in a certain way, which takes a long time. To help explain what I mean, when he was younger he had a paper round. He would start at No 1, then cross the road and do No 2, then cross back, do No 3, cross back and do No 4 etc all the way up to 106. He would be crossing back and forth all the way taking more than twice as long to do the road, than if he just started at No 1, did all the odds and cross once and do all the evens. We explained this and he seemed to agree and understand, but then continued to do it his way. We tried to explain that doing it in this way was taking him nearly 3 times longer to do that same task than someone else. He agreed, or at least seemed to agree. We asked him to just try it our way so he could see for himself the difference and if he still wanted to do it his way, great, but then he should understand that people may think that was inefficient, eg a future employer.

Another example is his parking of his car. So we live in a road where we have some parking bays on one side and none on the other. When he parks he drives in face forward and straight into a parking bay. No issue really with that. The problem is that when our neighbours opposite arrive on the none bay side they just park on the road in front of their houses. This now makes reversing his car out much much harder. I have suggested to him that when he arrives to reverse park into the bay, so that when he wants to drive out and our neighbour’s cars are opposite he can easily manoeuvre his car straight out. He finds reverse parking easy to do and agrees that the driving straight out is also much easier, yet he still parks face forward and then struggles with trying to get his car out when the neighbours have parked up.

I guess what I am asking is that despite his agreeing with us, he still practices the ‘inefficient’ or ‘difficult’ option and there are so so many examples. We need help in maybe explaining it so that he genuinely does understand, as it seems that he is just agreeing and then doing his own thing. It is so so frustrating. It causes arguments and we so so desperately want to help him but equally want him to help himself. It almost feels like he nods, but doesn’t actually get what we are saying, so we need to say it differently, maybe.

Anyways, any help welcome. Sorry to go on...

Parents
  • To explain the spectrum thing, it doesn't work that way. To use an ad-hoc analogy, Citrus fruit is a spectrum, Banana's share some traits with citrus fruit i.e. seeds on the inside but they are not on the citrus spectrum. It's called a spectrum because not all citrus fruits are the same.

I doubt this is a lack of understanding on his part, more a lack of reasons. Changing habits/ways of thinking can require more effort for us, depending on age and life experience I'd say he'll adjust once he experiences real life reason to be more efficient. This has to be from his experience, not something that can be taught.

The more you try to force change, the more his subconscious will resist. On a subconscious level he probably sees this as living his own life, or giving control of his life to others. 

• Thank you. I think I understand. I get that the change needs to come from him, if at all. We need to give him time. Is that what you are saying?

I see what you say about ‘living his own life’ vs ‘giving control of his life to others’.

We so desperately what him to be independent and I guess it is because we worry that he will not cope in certain situations, but I think I am realising that we need to let go and let him create his own life experiences; good or bad.

Am I getting it, or have I missed the point?

• Thank you. I think I understand. I get that the change needs to come from him, if at all. We need to give him time. Is that what you are saying?

I see what you say about ‘living his own life’ vs ‘giving control of his life to others’.

We so desperately what him to be independent and I guess it is because we worry that he will not cope in certain situations, but I think I am realising that we need to let go and let him create his own life experiences; good or bad.

Am I getting it, or have I missed the point?

Children