University With Autism

Hi! I’m going to university in September to do a BSc in geography and was wondering if anyone had any advice on university in general but also concerning making friends. 

Parents
  • I got through 5 years of uni and diagnosed later. In the first 2 years I didn't talk to many people and lived a recluse. In the 3rd year I started to get to know more of the class and went for a few nights out. I do regret not doing more socially but I just didn't have the aptitude to get involved with things. I still keep in contact with one person from university but as I moved away from the city I don't really speak to many others I knew whilst I was there.

Overall you are only there for a short time (for some people the degree is 3 years and classes are only 24 weeks of the year), so it's not super important to make friends but if you can then it should be easier for you both academically (people help you) and for your mental health

• I got through 5 years of uni and diagnosed later. In the first 2 years I didn't talk to many people and lived a recluse. In the 3rd year I started to get to know more of the class and went for a few nights out. I do regret not doing more socially but I just didn't have the aptitude to get involved with things. I still keep in contact with one person from university but as I moved away from the city I don't really speak to many others I knew whilst I was there.

Overall you are only there for a short time (for some people the degree is 3 years and classes are only 24 weeks of the year), so it's not super important to make friends but if you can then it should be easier for you both academically (people help you) and for your mental health

Children
No Data