Is it wrong to download illegaly?

Hi,

I just thought I would start this discussion to see what people think about illegal downloads....

I can honestly say I have never done it. Mainly for the fear of downloading a virus. From a moral perspective I am undecided.

I love music and love to collect CD's and records. If someone was never ever going to hear a beautiful peice of music in their life because they could not afford it would it be OK for them to download it illegaly? If they could never create something because they did not have some expensive software and therefore never fulfill there full potential would it be OK to illegall download the software? However where do you draw the line? Do you then just help yourself to someones possesions? Also what if the owner (software designer or artist) is really struggling to make a living? Should that influence your decision to download?

I am not a big fan of the consumer economy and culture but thats maybe another topic.

Cool

Parents
  • [quote] Also I would really not want to play music live. I am pretty sure their are others on this forum who think the same.

[\quote]

Absolutely!!

If I was a musician I couldn't play live, and if I wanted to earn a living I accept that some material would have to be given away so people would know what they are getting, but more tracks would have to be paid for but I would try and keep it to a small amount.

I tried writing phone software, it was free for the lower levels of difficulty and less than a dollar for additional levels, but the window for which it is a "new release" was so short only 20 people downloaded the free version. To find it in the marketplace after the first week it was necessary to know its name.  I didn't have the resources to make a nice little animation for youtube. I cannot do it anymore because the latest release of developer software requires equipment to be ugraded - they expect you to upgrade every two years.  Is music also a crowded marketplace?

• [quote] Also I would really not want to play music live. I am pretty sure their are others on this forum who think the same.

[\quote]

Absolutely!!

If I was a musician I couldn't play live, and if I wanted to earn a living I accept that some material would have to be given away so people would know what they are getting, but more tracks would have to be paid for but I would try and keep it to a small amount.

I tried writing phone software, it was free for the lower levels of difficulty and less than a dollar for additional levels, but the window for which it is a "new release" was so short only 20 people downloaded the free version. To find it in the marketplace after the first week it was necessary to know its name.  I didn't have the resources to make a nice little animation for youtube. I cannot do it anymore because the latest release of developer software requires equipment to be ugraded - they expect you to upgrade every two years.  Is music also a crowded marketplace?

Children
No Data