Is it wrong to download illegaly?

Hi,

I just thought I would start this discussion to see what people think about illegal downloads....

I can honestly say I have never done it. Mainly for the fear of downloading a virus. From a moral perspective I am undecided.

I love music and love to collect CD's and records. If someone was never ever going to hear a beautiful peice of music in their life because they could not afford it would it be OK for them to download it illegaly? If they could never create something because they did not have some expensive software and therefore never fulfill there full potential would it be OK to illegall download the software? However where do you draw the line? Do you then just help yourself to someones possesions? Also what if the owner (software designer or artist) is really struggling to make a living? Should that influence your decision to download?

I am not a big fan of the consumer economy and culture but thats maybe another topic.

Cool

Parents
  • Thanks for the info. I am really finding this discussion interesting. Strategies for making a living from music are changing as we speak and through inovation I beleive that it may be possible for a music artist to make money and for the fan/consumer to be happy.

NAS21954 said:

I don't think there is an excuse not to perform live shows now really, it is kind of expected of you as an artist.

I take your point. But for every rule there is always another. I don't really like seeing music live and prefer to listen to music at home. Also I would really not want to play music live. I am pretty sure their are others on this forum who think the same. Playing live is a very established idea. Recorded music changed that idea somewhat and insome cases replaced the live musician. The DJ can still have the appeal and status of a live performer. Computer based music artists use technology to make their music playable live and turn it into more of a show with improvisation that is equal to 'live' musicians. The way I see it is that everything is changing and in the future we will look back in retrospect and more easily be able to identfy these changes.

From what I can undersatnd about the early Dubstep scene it was based around dubplates and wasn't commercialy available. Money was made at the events. It kept it underground and I am sure the financial rewards were not great but it also meant the artists kept hold of their material. Exposure on RinseFM etc helped add to the whole underground desirabilty of the product. I think some consumers like to find that rare track, to be part of a 'select scene' or get their first on owning a sound. This is definately something I am very intersted in. Not as a marketing gimmick but actually something that is valid and real that could benifit both artist and listener.

.....with downloadiing there is also the risk of getting caught (however minimal):

torrentfreak.com/.../

• Thanks for the info. I am really finding this discussion interesting. Strategies for making a living from music are changing as we speak and through inovation I beleive that it may be possible for a music artist to make money and for the fan/consumer to be happy.

NAS21954 said:

I don't think there is an excuse not to perform live shows now really, it is kind of expected of you as an artist.

I take your point. But for every rule there is always another. I don't really like seeing music live and prefer to listen to music at home. Also I would really not want to play music live. I am pretty sure their are others on this forum who think the same. Playing live is a very established idea. Recorded music changed that idea somewhat and insome cases replaced the live musician. The DJ can still have the appeal and status of a live performer. Computer based music artists use technology to make their music playable live and turn it into more of a show with improvisation that is equal to 'live' musicians. The way I see it is that everything is changing and in the future we will look back in retrospect and more easily be able to identfy these changes.

From what I can undersatnd about the early Dubstep scene it was based around dubplates and wasn't commercialy available. Money was made at the events. It kept it underground and I am sure the financial rewards were not great but it also meant the artists kept hold of their material. Exposure on RinseFM etc helped add to the whole underground desirabilty of the product. I think some consumers like to find that rare track, to be part of a 'select scene' or get their first on owning a sound. This is definately something I am very intersted in. Not as a marketing gimmick but actually something that is valid and real that could benifit both artist and listener.

.....with downloadiing there is also the risk of getting caught (however minimal):

torrentfreak.com/.../

Children
No Data