Autism and the army

Hi all! 
first post and I need some advice.  Sorry if it’s in the wrong place.

my son is 15 and has an ASD diagnosis.  He’s determined to join the army in the infantry and adamant he doesn’t have ASD.

to be honest I think the army is the best thing for him. My question is can I have his ASD overturned? He’s much more communicative now and makes eye contact (I understand this can be learned behaviour) Can I go private? Or would it have to be NHS (which made the diagnosis)

Can anyone give advice please? I’m going to make an appointment with his gp tomorrow.

has anyone been successful in getting an ASD diagnosis overturned?

TIA

Nicola

• Are you sure he has no regrets, remorse or guilt? 

I'm only asking because sometimes people with autism can come across like they don't care when actually they do.

On the topic of him dropping friends, again, are you sure he just 'drops them'? 

Because again it's common for people with autism to find it difficult keeping friends. 

• Things tend to get lost in text and unfortunately that is how i perceived what you had wrote.

• Obviously I know there are rules etc etc and there are orders! I’m not so naive as to think he might have to kill a woman or child strapped with bombs (which happens a lot more than you think!) 

All I was saying was that if he had to kill these people (through orders and not indiscriminately) he would do without a second thought.

Obviously he wouldn’t be going round shooting people off his own back!!

• NO THAT IS NO WHERE NEAR WHAT THEY WANT! im actually quite shocked that you think that, sorry and if im honest i truly believe if that is how your son thinks(which is not anyone's thought) he most definitely should not be aloud in a combat role in the army as you cant just go around killing indiscriminately, their are rules of engagement, violation of them rules would lead to criminal charges.  

• Yes I understand that if he was in for a while this is a problem he will be left with. I will always have issues with him all throughout his life but I will always be there regardless 

• Yes I have read to be honest which we will be.  I honestly dont think it will be overturned. 

He will follow orders regardless what he has to do.  He doesn’t get stressed unless it’s something he is obsessed with or has to do for something he really wants.

He has no regrets or remorse or guilt unless it’s to do with me or his stepdad.  He will happily use people or take the mick  or drop people he once considered friends. 

This is the one thing that I struggle to cope with.  I know in the army he would happily shoot men women or children and not have a second thought about it.  But I suppose this is what they want isn’t it?

• My partner is in the RAF and undiagnosed ASD. He’s intelligent and outgoing so the banter isn’t a problem for him but the routine is a double edged sword. He likes all the routines and procedures but he’s also institutionalised; after so many years serving he would be anyway but this is more so. 

• He's definitely got autism as you have said so 100% do not withhold that from the application as its on his medical records and that alone will stop him from getting in due to lying, also he needs to ask himself how he deals with stressful situations as he will be under huge amounts of stress at numerous times in the military.

Also i am not being negative I am giving realistic advice which is coming from experience and yes i am fully aware the we are not all the same.

Like i commented previously you should think about chatting with the army themselves as they will have more answers, just be open and honest about all he strengths and weaknesses.

Word of warning though he may need to prepare himself to be told he can not serve as a front line role.

• I would go to a careers office and ask someone. If the ASD is on his medial records the Army will get it from there when going through selection. They go through all medical records before accepting people, they did it with me. Double check 1st if they will accept anything like it or not. Slight smile

• seriously? Lying on an application for the army is enough grounds for a dishonourable discharge! Do not lie on you're application it's simple as. 

• He definitely has autism.  But has improved regarding social and communication which is learned behaviour.

I just think he will thrive in the army.  He’s over 6ft, physically capable and one of the lads’.  He’s very popular and really funny.

The comment about boredom worries me though as he loves to torment people for reaction when he’s bored.  He’s also not bothered about saying what he thinks although now he’s learned to curb it if he knows it will stop him getting what he wants.

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.  I’ve tried to comment on them individually but I can’t for some reason.

• Not normally - anyone who doesn't fit will soon be 'encouraged' to leave.   You're thinking officer school - where they are expected to bring their colleagues up to scratch.

• so correct thats the attitude needed well done keep it going

• get him to try several recruitment centres, he will get in no problem, if he has your attitude !

be warned they can work you 10 -12 hours per day for weeks. and ironically it can be very boring at times as well.

• see !   if u r the right person with the right attitude that who the army wants,,,  ppl who see what can be done, how u can improve and not on your problems and negativity

• the team will be willing to help you under their buddie-buddie system as well. if he believes he is the right stuff he is !

• The army once you are in,  can reassess u and pass u as fit to remain. if u are fit and can do that u can stay. any ways it depends what regiment he joins. i recommend the irish regiments or if technical minded the engineering corps.

there is no reason any person can not serve his country and who says he is autistic ? meltdown ! what meltdown ? that is the negative approach !

• sorry quote system is going mental on me!

I totally agree and that is not what i was trying to suggest 

Please read my previous comments and give them a call.

I wish you all the best.

• Thanks all.

yes he has friends who he hangs with and enjoys banter.  He’s desperate to join and I am looking at getting him reassessed privately.  

I think if he goes in for the two week ‘taster’ it will give him an idea of if it is right for him or not.

I don’t think that him having the diagnosis will make him a ‘danger’ at all and it makes me angry that just because a person has a diagnosis of autism makes them miss out on opportunities.

I fully believe that when you meet a person with autism you have met ONE person with autism.