Autism and the army

Hi all! 
first post and I need some advice.  Sorry if it’s in the wrong place.

my son is 15 and has an ASD diagnosis.  He’s determined to join the army in the infantry and adamant he doesn’t have ASD.

to be honest I think the army is the best thing for him. My question is can I have his ASD overturned? He’s much more communicative now and makes eye contact (I understand this can be learned behaviour) Can I go private? Or would it have to be NHS (which made the diagnosis)

Can anyone give advice please? I’m going to make an appointment with his gp tomorrow.

has anyone been successful in getting an ASD diagnosis overturned?

TIA

Nicola

Parents
  • you say your son is adamant he doesn't have ASD, is he only saying that though as he know the diagnosis will stop of from being aloud to join? How does he cope with authority and change, army life even though very structured can be the total opposite, things can change in a millisecond. 

Its also not an autistic friendly environment and within good reasons, i know from experience as when i was 15 i did a 2 week experience course(of which i recommend as it will give him an idea of what its like) I was also in the reserves/TA bout 10 years back and i found it very challenging, which is why i left.

Weirdly i still tried to join the regulars a few times after that and still wish i could join as there is many things about the army i love but i have to admit to myself that it is definitely something i cant do.

I dont mean to be negative and im not trying to deter your son from following his dream, if he goes for it the I wish him all the luck and will have the upmost respect for him as i do for all our members of forces.

• you say your son is adamant he doesn't have ASD, is he only saying that though as he know the diagnosis will stop of from being aloud to join? How does he cope with authority and change, army life even though very structured can be the total opposite, things can change in a millisecond. 

Its also not an autistic friendly environment and within good reasons, i know from experience as when i was 15 i did a 2 week experience course(of which i recommend as it will give him an idea of what its like) I was also in the reserves/TA bout 10 years back and i found it very challenging, which is why i left.

Weirdly i still tried to join the regulars a few times after that and still wish i could join as there is many things about the army i love but i have to admit to myself that it is definitely something i cant do.

I dont mean to be negative and im not trying to deter your son from following his dream, if he goes for it the I wish him all the luck and will have the upmost respect for him as i do for all our members of forces.

Children
No Data