What are your pet peeves?

My pet peeve are things said all too commonly that is all too common...

When someone says something like, “When the dinosaurs all died,” or when someone looks at an alligator and goes, “is this the only chance we’ll ever get to see an animal so close to a dinosaur?” 

Or the other day when looking though books I might want to read i came across a title of a book that sounds interesting, but the title bugged me, “voyage of the turtle: in pursuit of the earths last dinosaur.” 

Why does this bug me? Because we still have dinosaurs with us today, you see them in your gardens. Birds are literally Dinosaurs. They’re theropods (the same lineage as T-Rex! But they evolved from smaller theropods than T-Rex) 

another pet pet peeve of mine is when someone sees a massive animal and they say, “it could be a dinosaur it’s so big!” 

Because even before birds there were small Dinosaurs, for example Microraptor. 

I also have a pet peeve about myths in general. An even worse pet peeve is when there is a myth that something is a myth if that makes sense. Lol. 

So so what are your pet peeves? 

Parents
  • I'm having to dig a bit to list these, because I'm trying to be a lot more chilled about other people and, generally, succeeding.

I also run the risk that someone lovely on here will have done one of these / like one of these and think I'm being weird or unfair or both.

Like I say, I've got over most of these, but digging back in time:

• The apparently universal assumption that men like football. I felt this a lot as a child. Thankfully, I'm realising that it seems no longer so prevalent.
    • When waiters interrupt my eating to ask how I'm enjoying my eating.
    • Tomato sauce bottles on tables (home or out)
    • Music that gets played at wedding receptions, intended to please everybody, and hence pleases almost no-one.
    • Fancy dress parties
    • When I see "Your" and "You're" mixed up
    • Parties where all the men stand in one corner and all the women sit on sofas. I used to feel bad for not standing with the men, but a) didn't want to listen to them talk about football and b) liked sitting with women!
    • When people say (generally to or about university students) "I went to the university of life, me" as if that's somehow better than actual university. I used to get it as a teenager (approaching uni time) and it's taken me 30 years to realise that I should have said "Uni students go to the university of life *as well*".
    • The fact that when you're in a hurry in a supermarket, the slower the person in front of you walks, the wider they appear. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Einstein's Relativity; some kind of dilation effect.
    • Generic "men are useless" memes, which don't get the full glare of the sexism searchlight (thankfully, this is changing).
    • Loud music that stats up just when you were enjoying the peace and quiet (e.g. on holiday next to a tranquil pool).
    • Scripted "How are you today?" from telesales people who clearly don't care what the answer might be (again, thankfully less frequent nowadays).
    • Growing up thinking that the world would end if I didn't answer a ringing phone. I can now report that I have tried this, and nothing bad happened!
  • The fact that when you're in a hurry in a supermarket, the slower the person in front of you walks, the wider they appear. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Einstein's Relativity; some kind of dilation effect.

So true!! RoflRofl

Reply Children
No Data