Creativity

I’m just wondering how many of us are creative.

I write poetry and I’m currently working on a novella. I’ve found that creativity helps me with some of my anxiety issues. 

Parents
  • Oh yes; together with walks in the countryside, getting absorbed in something creative is what keeps me sane. I'm a bit of a "serial hobbyist", so over the years, I've dabbled in quite a lot of different things...

• Drawing and painting. This was my first love; I was always drawing when I was a young child. Later on, in my adult years, I took up oil painting for a while, painting mostly abstracts.
    • Photography. I've done this on and off since before my teens, and I've collected some decent second-hand SLR kit over the years. I especially like making pictures of things which most people don't usually see day-to-day - e.g. extreme close up photography (macros) and a bit of infra-red.
    • Music. I started messing about on plastic home keyboards as a kid, then moved on to song-writing and playing bass/drums in punk bands in my late-teens. I gave up public performance because of the strain on my nerves, but I still play a lot at home, using my computer and looping pedals with my bass.
    • Coding. I've been writing computer code since I first had a ZX Spectrum in the 80's. These days I mostly code musical effects and synths to use in my own music, and bit and bobs to share with other coders.
    • Models. My room as a kid was full of Airfix airplanes, though I used to get rather cross at my Mum for snapping off aerials and propellers when she insisted on dusting them!
    • Lego! Until home computers were invented this was my favourite - anything from cars and trucks with technical Lego to using it more sculpturally to make animals. I've just recently treated myself to a couple of kits and got back into it after a 30 year break.

Like , I'm also an avid bodger. As I've rarely had much spare cash in adulthood, I've quite often made my own furniture (functional though rarely pretty!), and I'll always have a go at fixing something myself before throwing it away or calling a professional.

• I can relate to all of those - never actually played in a band but did everything above apart from drums pretty much. I started on a ZX81 and was hooked from the beginning. Meccano was a love of mine alongside Lego. Rather than being too artistically creative with those two though, I'd go for biggest / tallest / fastest / most powerful / most dangerous (the last three when motors were added :-) )

• most dangerous

Ha ha - yes! Crossbows were my particular favourite - I snapped quite a few of my Lego beams by stressing them a little too far (most of the rest were ruined by chewing, even well into my teens!)

Reply Children
No Data