Inappropriate Social Greetings!

Does anyone else struggle sometimes to do ‘appropriate’ greetings? You know, as the social skills textbook instructs, especially when hugely distracted by something else? Usually I can manage it, but this morning I may have managed to diversify!

I happened to need to pop to the Scout shop this morning to buy some badges for my Beavers. After I got out of my car I realised that there was what looked like a dead hedgehog by the side of the car park. So I had to stop for a few minutes to investigate whether a) it was actually a hedgehog, and b) it was actually dead. So after establishing those facts, I walked into the shop and rather than doing the textbook greeting, I just said “there’s a dead hedgehog in the car park!” Luckily they were fine with it, they even asked what group scarf it was wearing Rofl BUT this really isn’t the appropriate way for me to greet people who I haven’t seen for a few months!!

Parents
  • I was thrown a bit by one this morning. Joining a conference call at work and initially there's only me and another guy I've never met, or talked to before, and don't know. He says "Morning, just the two of us so far - how are you?". Errrrm, I've got nothing so I say "FineThanksAndYou?". It's the verbal equivalent of a parry I guess, but it's all pointless.

• I was thrown a bit by one this morning. Joining a conference call at work and initially there's only me and another guy I've never met, or talked to before, and don't know. He says "Morning, just the two of us so far - how are you?". Errrrm, I've got nothing so I say "FineThanksAndYou?". It's the verbal equivalent of a parry I guess, but it's all pointless.

Children