Inappropriate Social Greetings!

Does anyone else struggle sometimes to do ‘appropriate’ greetings? You know, as the social skills textbook instructs, especially when hugely distracted by something else? Usually I can manage it, but this morning I may have managed to diversify!

I happened to need to pop to the Scout shop this morning to buy some badges for my Beavers. After I got out of my car I realised that there was what looked like a dead hedgehog by the side of the car park. So I had to stop for a few minutes to investigate whether a) it was actually a hedgehog, and b) it was actually dead. So after establishing those facts, I walked into the shop and rather than doing the textbook greeting, I just said “there’s a dead hedgehog in the car park!” Luckily they were fine with it, they even asked what group scarf it was wearing Rofl BUT this really isn’t the appropriate way for me to greet people who I haven’t seen for a few months!!

Parents
  • Following on from the hugs (which I like), is there anyone else who hates being kissed on the cheek?

First, there's the whole one cheek or two thing; then there's the unbearable sensation of the saliva left on my skin. I've realised people (mostly extended family) find it pretty offensive when you wipe your cheek with your sleeve immediately after they've deposited their saliva there, especially once you get over the age of about 6 and it's no longer cute. My brother's in-laws are French and we see them most Christmases and on the kiddies' birthdays, so it's a full-on kiss-fest, after which I excuse myself to use the bathroom and rub off all the spit. I really can't bear it; just thinking about it now makes me want to scratch my face off.

My fiancé is pretty good these days as I've trained him to kiss me on my head/hair rather than the skin on my face, but on occasion when he forgets and I wipe the kiss straight off, he knows it's okay to laugh and give me a hug by way of apology.

• I can do hugs, I just don't tend to initiate them. As to whether I like being kissed on the cheek? It depends on a few factors! If the kisser has anything gross around their mouth or has prickly stubble then no, otherwise then I'm reasonably ok with it, as long as it's just a quick dry peck (an air kiss is even better) and they're not slobbering all over my cheek!

If I had anyone leaving spit on my cheek then I would wipe it off. If they're offended by that then they shouldn't have left spit on my cheek! I feel bad for you having to put up with your brother-in-laws leaving spit all over your cheeks, that would gross me out!

I'm glad that your fiance is more understanding!

• I know, if I wanted slobber, I'd get a dog!

I'm glad that your fiance is more understanding!

Yeh, I have him pretty well trained. Smile

• Or the mum thing of licking their thumb then using the moistened thumb to clean something off of your face Nauseated face

Reply Children
No Data