What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

More light hearted fun Slight smile 

What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

I’ll start, though mine was slightly more night terror than dream! One night last year I was dreaming that I was looking around my grandparents old house, except that there was an extra bit of house at the back, behind where the stairs were, so I went to explore it when suddenly a ghost jumped out and grabbed me by the wrists! I could physically feel something holding my wrists too, I remember physically shaking myself to wake up! Had to sleep with the door ajar for a few weeks afterwards too!

Parents
  • The dreams that I used to get when I was on Mirtazapine were definitely the oddest, some of them seeming like they had lasted for days, and extremely memorable afterwards - I wrote a couple of them down, as they amazed me so much (I very rarely remember dreams usually).

In one, I was in a seaside village and noticed that everyone was walking off to the beach, so I followed them. When I got there, the beach looked like the aftermath of a huge WW2 battle - there were burned out wrecks of aeroplanes, tanks, and ships everywhere, all populated by the skeletons of their unfortunate occupants. The people of the village had gone there to talk them, and I knew somehow that this was a regular part of village life, and that the skeletons were the villagers' relatives. There was no feeling at all of this being frightening, morbid, or a religious/remembrance ritual of any kind, and the conversations were perfectly ordinary idle chit-chat - the people of the village seemed to have gone there just to give the dead servicemen a bit of company.

Possibly the oddest one involved a ridiculously long journey; for what purpose I did not know. It involved swimming the channel alongside huge ships, hitch-hiking in a van of Rastafarians, travelling through bizarre tunnels like ancient catacombs, a city made entirely out of Escher-like flights of steps, and several other equally bizarre stages. The ending was oddest of all - I found myself sitting in an allotment which had indoor furniture, watching the previous parts of the dream again on television as I recounted my incredible journey to a bunch of my friends, unable to convince any of them that it had really happened.

• Lots of people seem to have lots of really vivid dreams!

Your first dream seems oddly reconciled rather than scary. I think if I had a dream like this, I'd wake up wondering what it all meant?

Your second dream sounds amazing, it must have been a really vivid tour of culture even though it was just a dream. Escher's work is brilliant too! 

• As I said in the Mirtazapine thread, it really threw me for a while. Remembering dreams is incredibly rare for me, and even when I do, they're usually quite banal; little fleeting glimpses of something not much different to real life. It was a really amazing experience, but also quite bewildering and unnerving to discover that my brain had this power (I was getting on for 40 by this time). The "time dilation" effect, in particular did freak me out a bit; my memory of the second dream really did feel like it might have covered a period of days (though I do have a notoriously wonky sense of time even when I'm awake!)

One of the things I find most fascinating about it is that I'm visually aphantasic. I have very little success conjuring images in my mind's eye; fleeting glimpses of half-formed things at best - mostly I just see the visual snow and geometric/migraine-like hallucinations which have always been part of my vision. When a counsellor tried out guided meditation on me, I finally grasped that seeing pictures in the mind's eye wasn't as metaphorical as I'd always thought. To then discover that my brain has the ability to take me on such vividly imagined journeys, but that this imagination seems inaccessible to me consciously, is very perplexing.

• She’s ok. Thanks for asking!

• Have u heard from Bookworm is she ok ?

• That’s a very altruistic stance to take Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data