Electronic planner/PDA for adult

Hello

I know there's a similar thread about electronic planners but they were asking for one for a 10-year-old.

I'm in my late 20s and I'm incredibly disorganised. What I find very helpful is making priority lists on my Windows based PC (I use Easy To Do Lite but there are lots of similar options). For example, I might make a list of tasks that are related to my course work and then a separate one for benefits related paper work and then one for things I will need to buy or just things I'd like to/need to do (shower, go for a walk, ride my bike - yes, I need to write these down!). I like it how on a computer you can tick tasks off as completed or delete them if they're no longer relevant. This works fine when I'm on my PC but as soon as I turn it off, I get confused and forget things. So it would be very handy to have something that I could use on the go but that I could also sync with my PC (mainly for backup purposes).

I'd like an old-fashioned PDA, such as a Palm Pilot, but I don't think they're selling them anymore. I don't like buying things off eBay, in case they are faulty. I prefer buying things from a shop because I could easily bring the item back if there are problems. So I have looked into mobile phones but I find it hard to find out which ones do have good planners and which ones don't. Even the most basic ones will have a calendar feature but it's hard to find out which ones have a decent organiser that can handle separate to-do-lists and recurring events for example. I'm aware that if I buy an Android based phone, there will be apps that I can download but I'm reluctant to buy a smart phone because I don't want to buy a data plan and I don't have a wi-fi access point at home (never go to Starbucks or similar). I really don't need internet in my phone as I have it on my PC. Presumably without a dataplan and without wi-fi, I won't be able to download any apps. So I'm looking for a phone (or PDA, if they still exist) that comes with a decent built-in organiser and not one that requires me to download an app for it. Unless some Android phones can download apps via my existing PC connection (I have a mobile broadband dongle connection, no cable)? Most phones can sync data, i.e. contacts, with a PC but is there a way to download Android apps to a PC and then transfer the app to the phone via USB cable?

• Thanks for this thread. Although, I am going to try an Android (because my tablet is Android) based app I found before buying something.

• No, but you're not the first person to ask Smile

• Thanks. You don't work as a promoter for Apple products, do you? Smile

• Yes it's great for games, there are thousands in the App Store, more than any other device. The better ones you have to pay for but most of the popular ones tend to have a 'lite' version you can try for free. The are plenty which you can easily play in short bursts. In my humble opinion it's by far the best device for casual gaming.

• reclusivemonkey said:

There are literally hundreds of organiser/list apps in the iTunes store, from the very simple to the hugely complex. Some are free, some are paid for. I am pretty sure you will be able to find one that fits your needs. There is one included in iOS called 'Reminders', which you can use to set up various lists with items you can 'tick off' and also set reminders for.

I find the keyboard easy to use; it 'learns' how you type and will auto correct mistakes and also increases the area around the key it thinks you are going to type next.

The default calendar app supports reminders, you can set up two alerts with options for 5/15/30 minutes before, 1/2 hours before and 1/2 days before which is quite handy. You can also set recurring appointments so if there is something you need to do every Monday or once a month you can set that up.

I've just checked and the iPod I linked to above is a 4th Generation iPod which will run iOS 6, the latest version. You won't get things like Siri, the voice activated assistant, or GPS maps but will still be able to run most things.

Thank you. Is it good for casual gaming too? If I wanted to play full games I would buy a console but is the iPod Touch decent for 'light' occasional gaming, e.g. on the bus?

• There are literally hundreds of organiser/list apps in the iTunes store, from the very simple to the hugely complex. Some are free, some are paid for. I am pretty sure you will be able to find one that fits your needs. There is one included in iOS called 'Reminders', which you can use to set up various lists with items you can 'tick off' and also set reminders for.

I find the keyboard easy to use; it 'learns' how you type and will auto correct mistakes and also increases the area around the key it thinks you are going to type next.

The default calendar app supports reminders, you can set up two alerts with options for 5/15/30 minutes before, 1/2 hours before and 1/2 days before which is quite handy. You can also set recurring appointments so if there is something you need to do every Monday or once a month you can set that up.

I've just checked and the iPod I linked to above is a 4th Generation iPod which will run iOS 6, the latest version. You won't get things like Siri, the voice activated assistant, or GPS maps but will still be able to run most things.

• reclusivemonkey said:

There is currently a refurbished iPod Touch on the Apple website for £129;

Refurbished iPod touch, 8GB - Black

The refurbished items have the same guarantee as the new items. You would be able to download apps to iTunes on your PC and then transfer them to your iPod and thus not need wifi/data plans.

I was considering an iPod Touch because I can use it for music and games also but would go for more memory. What can you tell me about the organiser apps in iTunes? Are they helpful? Is it quick and easy to manage the diary with the touch screen keyboard? Does it support lists and reminders?

• There is currently a refurbished iPod Touch on the Apple website for £129;

Refurbished iPod touch, 8GB - Black

The refurbished items have the same guarantee as the new items. You would be able to download apps to iTunes on your PC and then transfer them to your iPod and thus not need wifi/data plans.

• reclusivemonkey said:

What sort of budget do you have for this?

Depends on what it is that I'm paying for, i.e. I don't want to pay £300 for online features I'll never use if there's an offline equivalent for £100 that has the features that I need but doesn't rely on internet access (I'm really looking for an offline friendly phone because I don't need to be connected when I'm away from my PC). If it's got a good built quality and fullfills most of my requirements, then it will hopefully last a few years so is obviously worth paying more for than some plasticky thing that will break when I drop it. I say 'when' because I most definitely will drop it at some point. I'm very clumsy.

If it's just a mono use PDA, it would need to be relatively cheap if it's literally only an electronic diary but if it's also a phone, then I'd spend more.

• What sort of budget do you have for this?