Food: Hypersensitive; Hyposensitive or somewhere in the middle?

I've had several food related discussions recently with a few autistic friends of mine, both on and off the forum and I can't help but be intrigued by how autism affects our taste in food. I have a couple of friends who are very hypersensitive to a lot of different tastes and textures and can only eat very bland tasting food of certain specific consistencies and yet there are other friends and also myself that seem to like lots of strong tastes; spices, etc. Food seems to be important to autistic people in one way or another! So I wondered where everyone else is with food. Do you prefer strong tastes and flavours or do you have a lot of food sensitivities that limit what you can eat? I'd like to know other people's opinions and thoughts on this?

Parents
  • Some things I like but my stupid gut doesn't. That includes wheat-nased things. Too much chocolate, certain nuts, ditto. 

I enjoy food on the whole. But the smell and texture of eggs, especially egg white, makes me feel sick, they always have done. So cafes that do a full English with fried eggs are a no-no for me!

I also can't stand the smell of cooking fat, lard, butter and the like: I have retched and nearly thrown up altogether in certain places that cook meat here! 

• That must be irritating if you want to eat certain foods but can't because they disagree with your gut?

I like eating eggs but I get really funny about the little blood spot or bit that looks like the beginning of a chick growing which you seem to get in all eggs! I have to remove it before I cook and eat the egg otherwise I wouldn't be able to eat it! I end up gagging loads while I'm trying to get it out of the egg because raw eggs are so slimy that it always takes ages!

I don't eat lard or butter and I use the 1cal per spray cooking spray when I have to use a fat in cooking, otherwise my waistline wouldn't thank me!

• Lunch is always the worst because sometimes it can be very difficult to find something will agree with me. I don't like a full meal at lunch  because I hate to be chased by work, or in pressure to rush because of impending appointments

• Cloudy Mountains, you've converted 2 people to Pho! :-)

• I’ve put ‘trying Pho!’ on my ‘to do’ list!

• Peas and sweetcorn work well. You get a little crunch and pop with the noodles. Yeah, noodles are great for leftovers!

Pho is sort of like that, but you put all the ingredients aside from the broth, and people add what they want. Everyone ends up with a bowl tailored to them. Which can be useful!

Pho? No, not really heard of it. But there are many new types of restaurants muchrooming in the city centre here now, began and so on, so I may encounter it soon enough

It's worth a try, because you basically get the bowl you want. We have a restaurant here that does Vietnamese, and it really only sells Pho. It's called Pho!

• Pho? No, not really heard of it. But there are many new types of restaurants muchrooming in the city centre here now, began and so on, so I may encounter it soon enough

• That sounds good actually, might have to try it at some point! Hopefully it doesn’t make you cough if you try it again! 

Reply Children
No Data