Food: Hypersensitive; Hyposensitive or somewhere in the middle?

I've had several food related discussions recently with a few autistic friends of mine, both on and off the forum and I can't help but be intrigued by how autism affects our taste in food. I have a couple of friends who are very hypersensitive to a lot of different tastes and textures and can only eat very bland tasting food of certain specific consistencies and yet there are other friends and also myself that seem to like lots of strong tastes; spices, etc. Food seems to be important to autistic people in one way or another! So I wondered where everyone else is with food. Do you prefer strong tastes and flavours or do you have a lot of food sensitivities that limit what you can eat? I'd like to know other people's opinions and thoughts on this?

Parents
  • Oh yes

From existing allergic reactions to some foods/drinks through to finding effects from other food more recently - intolerances and digestive issues.  I cannot stand some strong things (perfume especially Lynx, peppermint, ginger) to having a high tolerance to spicy food (Garlic Chilli, Black Pepper Masala, spicy Jalfrezi, Nando's spicy sauces) and loving them.

I hate skin on gravy/custard but have no problem with rice pudding, Creme Brûlée and custard tart.

• Oh yes

From existing allergic reactions to some foods/drinks through to finding effects from other food more recently - intolerances and digestive issues.  I cannot stand some strong things (perfume especially Lynx, peppermint, ginger) to having a high tolerance to spicy food (Garlic Chilli, Black Pepper Masala, spicy Jalfrezi, Nando's spicy sauces) and loving them.

I hate skin on gravy/custard but have no problem with rice pudding, Creme Brûlée and custard tart.

Children
  • Oh no! Sorry to hear that you have food allergies/intolerances! What foods do you have issues with? 

Yeah I've literally just said to someone else this evening, I hate it when someone is wearing enough perfume to gas a small nation! There's just no need for it!! Peppermint is ok though, in chewing gum! I like ginger and pretty much any spice!

I don't mind Custard/Rice pudding but if I had to eat a desert I prefer something with a bit more flavour, either something super chocolatey or really fruity fruit cake.