Advice before I do this..

Yesterday at work a colleague reversed into my car. I didn't see it happen but I saw him get out of his car and check the back of both cars. He then came in and went back outside with another colleague and he looked at the back of both cars. I can see this from my office window - they obviously did not think I could see. I was furiously waiting for an explanation. They came back in and the one responsible for hitting my car 'thanked' the other one and they both got on with their day. I was so angry. I've bumped into somebody else's car in the past before, and even with no mark, I'd still tell and apologise to the owner. 

As the day went on the likelihood of an explanation and/or an apology decreased and so did my confidence - did he really hit my car then? Self-doubt started creeping in and I couldn't go out to my car to check because I didn't want to bring unnecessary attention to the situation. So at the end of the day I was last out and could check my bumper. The dirt on the back had been smudged by fingers and there were fresh cracks in the paint work. He HAD hit my car. It played on my mind all night.

This morning am I going to check cctv but I don't have access to it - I'll have to ask another colleague to show me it on their computer. It's an open plan office so it'll be obvious as to what I'm looking for. When I see the evidence what do I do? The situation is made worse by the fact my bumper is already cracked so badly underneath that I wouldn't get it repaired anyway - it probably needs replacing. (My car is bright yellow and I've never owned a car that's been hit by so many other people. 2 have gone into the back of me previously and I've already had it repaired! It's yellow! How can you not see me??).

I am 99% sure, even with evidence, he'll lie about it and I'll be forced into a public confrontation. I hate dishonesty. If he'd have told me yesterday I'd have thanked him for telling me and told him not to worry.

I don't need this on top of my already stressful job. I am correct to pursue this aren't I?

Parents
  • He sounds like a right areshole. If you have the evidence I'd:

1. Contact your insurer and make a claim

2. Report his failure to disclose the accident via the local police email form

Why should you make life easy for him when he's treated you appalling? These actions would only take a few minutes and then any further action is on the hands of your insurance company and the police.

I'd be tempted to send the following email to your colleague...

Dear xxx

Yesterday I saw you bump into my car and this impact has caused damage to my bumper. As it's the respectful thing to do, plus failure to report an accident is actually a crime, I was expecting you to speak to me about this and it's been both upsetting and frustrating that you haven't.

I've obtained CCTV of the incident and have now forwarded this to my insurer and have contacted the police about your failure to report the incident.

Regards,

xx

• He sounds like a right areshole. If you have the evidence I'd:

1. Contact your insurer and make a claim

2. Report his failure to disclose the accident via the local police email form

Why should you make life easy for him when he's treated you appalling? These actions would only take a few minutes and then any further action is on the hands of your insurance company and the police.

I'd be tempted to send the following email to your colleague...

Dear xxx

Yesterday I saw you bump into my car and this impact has caused damage to my bumper. As it's the respectful thing to do, plus failure to report an accident is actually a crime, I was expecting you to speak to me about this and it's been both upsetting and frustrating that you haven't.

I've obtained CCTV of the incident and have now forwarded this to my insurer and have contacted the police about your failure to report the incident.

Regards,

xx

Children
  • If the car is old and already damaged, and this latest dink is very minor, then claiming will be a REALLY bad idea.

You will immediately cost yourself your excess - and for the next five years, every renewal will ask "any accidents or claims in the last 5 years?".   Answering yes bumps up your premium.

How much damage is it really?   Enough to cost yourself a load of cash?

And you have to PROVE it was the other person to get your excess refunded and claim no fault on renewal.

Look up 'Pyrrhic Victory'.

I would suggest going up to the person and light-heartedly saying "Someone told me they watched you bump into my car, get out and examine the bump and then drive off - why didn't you tell me?"   'Somebody saw it' creates a fake 3rd party who is the snitch.   'Watched' means more detail than 'saw' it.    Giving the detail about getting out to look at the damage is in line with the truth and you've put them on the spot - if they say - oh, sorry, I didn't know who's car it was, then you go forward with sorting it out.   

If they flatly deny everything, you're free to call them whatever blunt name you can think of - and go and get revenge in the car park. Smiley.

• I agree, I am a claims handler for an insurance company. The other insurer will have to investigate. 

Don't worry about your colleague, the insurance companies should work it out without much input from you. 

• That's kind of the 'nuclear option'... might be better to try a softer initial approach...