Musings about Music

Is it an autistic thing to have a hugely varied taste in music, or do our tastes just diversify more as we get older? My own taste in music is very varied from heavy metal through 80's and 90's music to Trance music. For me it's not so much about the genre of the music but whether or not I like a particular song or the music to that song. Personally I like quite upbeat songs as opposed to the slower tracks, regardless of what type of music it is. What is other people's experience? What do you listen to? Do you tend to only listen to one category of music or do you prefer variety?

Parents
  • I love variety and love music listen to so many different types i often get the need to listen to music often

helps me cope with the world i think process emotion and understanding. i've always been able to slip into a sort of trance since very young when listening to music close my eyes and go into a scenario using my imagination usually to do with something going on at the time

growing up i would listen to at least an hour of music everyday home from school i think it helped me cope i had no idea about autism and that i was autistic at that time

if i hear music outside with a good beat cant stop myself from bobbing along to it love it i love upbeat music too dance music creative music the kind of chill relax music people would probably smoke a joint too but i dont need to do that :) just love the music anyway.

• Yes! I’m exactly the same as what you describe! When I listen to music I can zone out and go off into my own little world, I think it’s my way to process information/situations; re-charge or just get some time away from everything.

I keep noticing myself hip swaying to music when I’m sitting at traffic lights!

• Maybe we can recommend music to each other and start a music recommendations thread? Slight smile

Reply Children