Mirrors, haircuts, shaving and spectacles

I don't like looking at myself in a mirror.

The person who looks back at me is a stranger to myself.  He seems remote, distant not like the person who is within me.

And together with this is 'what I look like'.  I don't have to look at myself, so in a way I am not bothered as to what I look like.  I have just had to have a new pair of spectacles as my previous ones were getting more and more difficult to see through, and were held together with tape with the lenses constantly dropping out.  But I didn't have to look at myself, so I was not concerned about this as it was the misfortune of others to see me.  I didn't see myself.

I have today had my haircut for the first time in a year.  It was getting very long, and had begun to irritate me by blowing over my face and eyes.  But I didn't have to look at myself so I didn't bother that it must have looked very untidy.  It has now gone from 'hippy 1960's' to 'respectable'.  But I still don't have to look at myself.

I don't like it when my facial hair gets too long.  But I don't like shaving either.  I won't use a mirror when shaving.  My skin is very sensitive to a razor blade and I always cut myself so it has to be an electric razor.  So I go from looking like I 'need a shave' to shaved look.  But once again, I don't look at myself.  The only driving force for it is that I begin to feel uncomfortable as I don't like the feel of my facial hair.

I must say that I do like the 'feeling' when I have just had my hair cut, and am clean shaved.  But that isn't the motivation.  The motivation is purely my hair on my head or face getting so long as to feel uncomfortable.  And in the case of spectacles reaching the end of their natural life.  And I still won't look in a mirror!

I would be interested to know if this is just peculiar to me, or whether others have similar motivations.

Parents
  • I shave every one or two weeks.  I use an electric shaver (i've tried all types) but they always chew my delicate soft skin up when shaving.   I only do it when I become a bit too unkempt.  I have to use steroid creams to repair the damage.

I hate the way fresh stubble catches on everything, collars, sheets -  it's really annoying.  After a few days, it all goes soft & furry which is more comfortable and nice in the winter.

As for hair - I get it cut when the lady comes to do my wife's hair - I have no style - just 'shorter' and tidier as directed by the wife.   I have no interest in it.   I used to have it cut all over with a trimmer - #3 or something - but my wife said I looked like a bouncer/thug.

I've also reached that unfortunate age when my arms are too short - I cannot focus on anything nearer than 3 feet.   I have excellent long vision - I can count the leaves on a tree 100 yards away but I can't see what's on a dinner plate in front of me.

I've got lots of random pairs of £1.50 Aldi glasses to use for all the 0-3' range from using a computer to close-up model making and bi-focal safety specs for working with hazards.

• I've also reached that unfortunate age when my arms are too short - I cannot focus on anything nearer than 3 feet

I am at the age when the moon and stars aren't far enough away to focus on without my glasses.

I used to have very good vision until I was forty, but now can't make out anything with clarity without my specs. And I have a pair of poundshop's best for when I can't find my varifocals.

• A few years ago I spent a lot of time working in 19" racks and could see all the wiring without glasses a couple of inches away from my nose - now I'm reaching for glasses all the time.  I hate this really obvious symptom of aging and deterioration.

• A few years ago I spent a lot of time working in 19" racks and could see all the wiring without glasses a couple of inches away from my nose - now I'm reaching for glasses all the time.  I hate this really obvious symptom of aging and deterioration.

Children
No Data