Enjoying my hobby

So, I've just started my fifth show in four days.  I'm stage managing. I've been involved for seven years now. 

It gives me so much life.

However I really struggle with the after show party. Every time I go all I can think about going home.  

• Thanks, I’ve just got home from the party. I’ve been able to drop my mask tonight. There are some who know that I’m waiting for diagnosis and some who don’t. 

I have just enjoyed the fun and the friendship, these are the most accepting people. 

My next focus is on my summer play, Which is I’m in as an actor, Shakespeare’s Scottish play. 

• I'm involved in musical theatre but as a performer and I absolutely love it! I've been doing shows for 20 years!

This year I plan to do 3 shows! I've currently performed in 29 productions not including school shows or performances. I don't count those... Not sure why... Possibly because school was a horrible except shows and best not remembered...

Anyway, I too struggle with after show parties and I used to clock watch and want to go home. Now I just don't go... I figure, it doesn't make me feel good and there's no benefit to going for me or others so I just don't go... Some might not see that as a solution so I'm not sure if that's helpful but for me, not going to the after show party is the answer. I also don't go to social evenings unless they are compulsory.

I'd say give yourself permission to enjoy stage managing and don't worry about after show parties. If you don't want to go, don't go. If you go and want to leave then leave. I think that's okay... I'm still accepted as part of the group for rehearsals and show weeks and people still invite me but they know I just don't enjoy that kind of thing and they accept that. If they didn't accept it then I think I'd consider them not worth worrying about...

I hope you enjoy many more shows to come!