Misophonia

I sStar2tarted a beginner's yoga class today. I try new things occasionally, even though it's terrifying and makes me very anxious. I  chose yoga because I thought it would help slow my thinking down and focusing on breathing would be relaxing. And you dont actually need to talk to anyone during the class :) However, my first impressions are that it's awful! I can't stand it. I was in a room with 15 other people all breathing so loud it was unbearable. It was one of the least relaxing experiences I've ever had. Does anyone else experience strong reactions to certain noises? I can't stand loud breathing or loud eating. I get instantly angry and have to leave the area. I believe it's called Misophonia. Does anyone have any coping strategies? It affects me a lot but in particular I'm not looking forward to the remaining 5 yoga classes of my beginners course. I don't think you're allowed to wear headphones :p 

Parents
  • I believe I have misphonia (dislike of certain sounds). I am diagnosed with hyperacusis (hyper sensitive hearing, hear sounds as pain) and misphonia often goes alongside this. There is also phonophobia which is fear of certain sounds

Here's a couple of good articles:

https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/types/hearing/misophonia-spd.php

www.hyperacusis.net/.../

Bad sounds for me are my father whistling and tapping (ironically he's a bit deaf so probably can't hear the whistling at all....). For months my fridge did me head in but I seem a bit better with that one now.

I am receiving treatment for my hyperacusis with use of a wearable white noise generator, so maybe that's beginning to work a bit.

• I believe I have misphonia (dislike of certain sounds). I am diagnosed with hyperacusis (hyper sensitive hearing, hear sounds as pain) and misphonia often goes alongside this. There is also phonophobia which is fear of certain sounds

Here's a couple of good articles:

https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/types/hearing/misophonia-spd.php

www.hyperacusis.net/.../

Bad sounds for me are my father whistling and tapping (ironically he's a bit deaf so probably can't hear the whistling at all....). For months my fridge did me head in but I seem a bit better with that one now.

I am receiving treatment for my hyperacusis with use of a wearable white noise generator, so maybe that's beginning to work a bit.

Children