Misophonia

I sStar2tarted a beginner's yoga class today. I try new things occasionally, even though it's terrifying and makes me very anxious. I  chose yoga because I thought it would help slow my thinking down and focusing on breathing would be relaxing. And you dont actually need to talk to anyone during the class :) However, my first impressions are that it's awful! I can't stand it. I was in a room with 15 other people all breathing so loud it was unbearable. It was one of the least relaxing experiences I've ever had. Does anyone else experience strong reactions to certain noises? I can't stand loud breathing or loud eating. I get instantly angry and have to leave the area. I believe it's called Misophonia. Does anyone have any coping strategies? It affects me a lot but in particular I'm not looking forward to the remaining 5 yoga classes of my beginners course. I don't think you're allowed to wear headphones :p 

• I think people must not be conscious of how loud or annoying they're being. It's a shame, because I think there are simple ways of mitigating the problem of noisy eating--like pleasant background noise that is louder than the noise of eating--but most of the time all that you can do is leave.

• I can't stand squeaky noises or the sound of people blowing their nose. I'm not sure I would say it makes me angry but I really, really hate them. If I can avoid these noises I do. 

I'm quite amused that I just googled misophonia and it came up with noise rage. I like this term better. 

• Thank you for the articles Bagpuss7 :)

• I know what you mean. I go from zero to level 10 anger instantly when I hear people eating and I can only contain myself for a few seconds before I have to blurt out "can you not do that so loudly please" and then they get really offended. It's so uncomfortable though I can't stand it. Oh and slurping tea! Why is slurping required? Drink your tea normally! 

• I am so put off by the sound of eating I can't even eat crisps or "loud" food myself because I can hear myself eating and it sort of reverberates all over my head JoyLaughing

• I hate the noise of people eating. It makes me nauseated and angry, and I can spasm because of trying to repress my disgust at the noise. If I complain about such a thing, I'm told that my frustration is unreasonable, and society shouldn't have to fine tune it's behaviour in a way that's favourable to me. I know that, and feel even more angry for being condescended, and then stop sharing my feelings.

I wish people would stop taking offence at discussions of problems like these. It seems like an attempt to prevent a discussion of how autistic people could be better facilitated in society, because people are scared of feeling guilty although they aren't necessarily being accused of anything.

• I can't stand the noise of people eating. 

• I believe I have misphonia (dislike of certain sounds). I am diagnosed with hyperacusis (hyper sensitive hearing, hear sounds as pain) and misphonia often goes alongside this. There is also phonophobia which is fear of certain sounds

Here's a couple of good articles:

https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/types/hearing/misophonia-spd.php

www.hyperacusis.net/.../

Bad sounds for me are my father whistling and tapping (ironically he's a bit deaf so probably can't hear the whistling at all....). For months my fridge did me head in but I seem a bit better with that one now.

I am receiving treatment for my hyperacusis with use of a wearable white noise generator, so maybe that's beginning to work a bit.

• Ha, what a typo. Obviously that is supposed to read *started* not sStar2tarted